Herbicide Wiper for Quackgrass

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CK82, Jul 6, 2018.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Senior Member

Hello,

I'm hoping some of you pro's can give me some insight on what type of herbicide applicator in order to apply glyphosate to Quackgrass within a desirable lawn of Fescue/Bluegrass?

I need something that has little chance for dripping. Sounds like wick applicators drip. Again does anyone have a good make of a weed wiper or some sort? I'm looking for just a hand wiper where one could apply carefully to taller quackgrass and not disturb or treat the desirable shorter grass within.

Thanks!

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I think it would take too long. About like hand pulling. If you hand pull--make sure the soil is super moist and soft--better chance at pulling out the roots and rhizomes. If you get a hold of a rhizome, use a cotton swab and coat it with Roundup--with luck--it will transport to the other connected plants.

My idea--use sod--or overseed repeatedly with one of the super-dense bluegrass types. Stadium-quality. Bluenote or 365SS( a mixture) for instance. Dense, short grass is more resistant to quackgrass--and if it does happen--it is almost invisible.

http://mtviewseeds.com/turf/bluegrass.php

oqueoque likes this.
  3. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Bronze Member

Cotton glove liner over a rubber glove is about as accurate as you can get by touch.

bmc1025, ETM and oqueoque like this.
  4. CK82

I'm just talking about residential lawns moderate size, nothing near an acre or more. Quackgrass as well as other broadleaf grasses are very unsightly in a lawn. If the lawn was too filled with crabgrass a complete kill and lawn renovation would be in store.

Has anyone used those side swipes I think they are called ? Do they drip, or are they pretty well controlled?

A trash picker with a sponge of sort on the end may work good. The cotton glove over rubber seems back breaking and more time consuming I'd say

5. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't want to bend over you can use a long handled paint roller or wrap pipe in a towel and attach a handle to it. Sponge or string mop would probably work too, whatever you use just wring it out a bit so it's not over saturated and dripping shouldn't be an issue.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

You will be disappointed in the results I'm afraid. Quack rhizomes can survive a roundup beating...it will come back. I no longer offer to treat for quackgrass...it's a losing battle.

KerbDMK likes this.
  7. CK82

DA Quality Lawn,

You haven't had good results with completing multiple applications with Glyphosate in regards to Quackgrass suppression?

How did you apply the Gly in order to not kill out the existing lawn?

Thanks!

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't , I killed out patches of the lawn too. Double app of gly. Reseed. Quack came back.
    Never again.

KerbDMK likes this.
  9. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

DA is correct, quack is a beast.

I did a double app of gly on a small 1,400 sq. ft. KBG renovation last fall and had some quack reappear that fall, but well over 90% was killed. I wiped the quack that reappeared, only to still find more in the early spring this year. I wiped that, and it’s been quack free ever since. I'm glad it was just a small renovation.

It’s a little easier to wipe quack in Kentucky bluegrass because it grows so slowly when it’s new, it gets more difficult after it matures. Be sure to take advantage of this and don’t wait until after the KBG has matured.

10. CK82

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

I find that Quack grows faster or taller in summer when Bluegrass slows with warmer the warmer temps. I think that would make it easier to wipe.