Herbicides in heat

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Jul 14, 2018.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Seven herbicides were tested at 93 degrees for the chance of burn or injury to cool season grass (rye and bluegrass). Herbicides were: Drive, Quicksilver, three-way, three-way plus surfactant, Speedzone, Surge, and T-Zone.
    The methods could not be precise. The squirt sprayers applied about one milliliter per squirt applied to a seven inch circle. This was about 1 gallon per thousand sqft.
    Then I applied 3 times over for comparison. Then 5 times over for comparison in a grid pattern.
    Of course, this also increased the amount of water carrier applied.

There was no injury, after 8 days.

SA400010.JPG

SA400009.JPG

That Guy Gary likes this.
  2. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

I think good irrigation makes a difference.

I've spot sprayed in low 90s from my Exmark when mixed for 4k per without any burn but I won't squirt if it's dry.

3. roody2333

roody2333 LawnSite Senior Member

isn't 90 around the max labels suggest? 93 is not that far off, but besides that I think the major reason why there was no damage (at least so far) is because that grass wasn't already dormant brown in which case it might never bounce back out of dormancy if sprayed.

4. That Guy Gary

Yeah, most say no broadcast over 90 and be willing to tolerate injury if you spot spray.

Some of the specialty chems aren't as restricted, quin (Drive XLR8) and I think Sedgehammer don't have that on the label.

If I ever have my ride on home on a hot day I might broadcast a few hundred sq ft and see what happens. I think turf health is the key though just like you said, well fed and watered grass can tolerate more chems in the heat than stressed or dormant turf.

5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I pull the plug altogether on weed spraying at 86-89 degrees. I think the safest heat herbicide is quinclorac wettable powder. I do think mso as a wetting agent greatly improves the performance of quinclorac, but you really have to be careful in the heat with mso! I did some test spraying in my own yard and there would have been turf injury had I not nursed the areas with water. A little mso goes a long way.

6. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

They do not recommend not spraying above 90 because you will hurt the grass, it is because the chemicals volitize and turn into a gas. When spraying around 90 your very likely to damage plants near where you spray even if your not close to them. I have seen it happen on tomatoes, your best bet is to spot low to the ground with Handcan. I do not spray off the rideon over 90.

7. walkinonwater27

from ct

If it’s really hot 100 plus , the sprays evaporate so fast the weeds show little to no injury .

jcollett83 likes this.
  8. That Guy Gary

Tomatoes are insanely sensitive, mine start to wilt if I say "Roundup" close enough for them to hear me.

The labels clearly say not to spray above 90 because it may injure the grass, are they lying about that?

Every product label I've read (I don't spray esters, but I think I should) that is labeled for weed control in planters, hardscapes, other places besides a lawn basically mentions nothing about temperature unless I'm spraying turf.

Amines are salts. Salts can dehydrate things through osmosis. Pull what little water is left out of drought stressed turf and you get dead or severely injured turf.

walkinonwater27 likes this.
  9. walkinonwater27

from ct

I had some college professor tell me that at a class for license credits but your thoughts make great sense as well.

10. walkinonwater27

from ct