Here in SE Michigan

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by On a call, Feb 20, 2018.

1. On a call

On a call LawnSite Gold Member

Okay...saw my first things popping today. 2/20/18

Henbit took the cake...saw my bed riddled with it today. Guess I should have laid more Pre last fall :( . Oh well...need to try some left over Battleship or Speedzone.

Other activity ... some perennials were just starting. Not sure...but I had Swiss Chard in an area...thought of it as a annual not a perennial but there it was...leaf just breaking ground :) .

Of course I did see to poa pop up too.

Time to roll lawns.

How about you ?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

35 degrees here, but it was 61 yesterday, with 3.5 inches of rain. Soil is still frozen at 3 inches deep. I found a few sprouts of hairy cress--but of course it can come up in the fall. Most of our snow melted yesterday.

Mark Oomkes and hort101 like this.
  3. On a call

Our snow melted as well, a few hidden piles in the shade.

I know it is early, however with the warm they are greening up.

This was not only the southern exposure but a north also the Swiss Chard was the north.

4. kinneberg lawn service

kinneberg lawn service LawnSite Member

Wish the weather was as good here, more ice and snow again. Best of luck guys.

JLSLLC likes this.
  5. On a call

You guys are always last to warm up and first to cool down.

But you guys have awesome ice fishing :)

hort101 likes this.
  6. RigglePLC

I forgot to check the depth of the frozen soil. We had a high of 44 today.
    No signs of December late fall rye grass seed germination.
    However, there is a bit of chickweed--two leaf stage--about 1/4 inch tall.

hort101 likes this.
  7. On a call

Great point...

I, from a distance checked on the field I planted the late rye on and to me I saw more green. Going there tomorrow and will take a closer look. However I am certain a fair amount took hold. Of course we had added 40 yards of compost to an acre and did deep aeration and then planted. Wishing it was not as late as I did...thinking it was almost November.

hort101 likes this.
  8. pyroron

pyroron LawnSite Member

You guys sound just as itchy as I am to get are lawns looking super green asap. Do any of you have a place to send soil samples. I have never done this? Thanks

9. RigglePLC

I checked the soil temperature here, 34 degrees F.
    I checked for frozen soil at depth. I used a stiff wire (tomato stake). It felt like there was a thin layer of ice at about 8 to 10 inches deep. It could be penetrated with more pressure.
    Hundreds of chickweed seedlings have appeared. Less than 1/4 inch tall so far.

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  10. On a call

Wecome
    Not really itchy...more like observation, making notes, getting ready. Sort of like seeing a snow storm coming, you do not wait till the storm is here to put your plow on.
    MSU is where you might want to send samples....it all depends on " WHAT" you looking for.

pyroron and GrassManKzoo like this.