• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Heres a good one - Walk behinds Scag-Red Hawk

ChaseLandscapes

LawnSite Member
Purchasing a 48" Walk behind as another backup mower, good to have (2nd crew)
Hung up between a brand new Red Hawk 48" 18HP Kohler (Hydro +) -$2300cash vs. Scag 48" Walk behind, 16HP Kawasaki (belt driven -), 26Hrs - 2 years old -$3000 Cash

Redhawk - Provides decent componants, Priced low, Hydro
Scag - Kawasaki mower, much better cut and qaulity

The Red hawk is a great price for a Hydro(China made doesnt scare me), but then again can't beat Scags Quality (biggest downfall is the belt drive)...

Lugnut

LawnSite Senior Member
That Scag's no deal, but I sure as hell wouldn't buy a Red Hawk. You know its only a matter of time for them to break. I'd keep my eyes open for a better deal on a used, quality mower

tlc28

LawnSite Member
I have to agree with lugnut hold out for awhile I found a nice dual hydro scag last year and glad I did.

CircleC

LawnSite Senior Member
Why in goodness sake would anyone buy China crap! Just like my dad says,"Damn Son, buy American! We need jobs!"

OP
C

ChaseLandscapes

LawnSite Member
Why in goodness sake would anyone buy China crap! Just like my dad says,"Damn Son, buy American! We need jobs!"
The computer you are on is from China, so are more than 40% of the items in your house. I would always buy Amerian if it always made sence. Its hard to knock a $2300 dual hydro mower made from the same componants as a comprable $5000+ mower. A fellow Landscape company in my neck of the woods has been running (2) RedHawk Hydros for over three seasons with no complaints other than the grips.. Im not "pro-China" nor am I saying Im going to run out and go buy a RedHawk simply over price, Im just saying think about it and it makes sence. Something as minimal as a back-up machine, it doesn't appear to be half-bad. Make the all mighty dollar stretch...

yardguy28

LawnSite Platinum Member
none of the above. exmark or toro. you get just as good quality in cut, performance, and build for less the price.

lawns Etc

LawnSite Silver Member
I have looked at the Redhawks and they are made pretty well for $2300 a brand new hydro with a solid fab deck and good engine and basically the same hydro components of the big names for a backup I would say go for it.

TYCINC

LawnSite Member
You def arent wrong for considering. . . Cant knock him for that. . And Hes right, over half the crap we're surrounded by is made in china, get over it.

If I were you- avoid a belt drive at all costs. . .You will hate the machine. . . Keep looking for a hydro WB and save as youre doing so. . . And stay away from the Chi-com machine