Lawn Care Forum banner

Hey Buddy can i barrow your Chainsaw, pressure washer, gas hedge trimmer( ahhhh No)

7K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  SlowMowTurf 
#1 ·
this is a question I get surprisingly often my standard answer is No.

New neighbor generally get this answer early on. I get asked this question while working on properties (by total strangers yet they call me they're Buddy) , even at a gas station once (total strangers)

Hey Buddy can i barrow your Chainsaw, pressure washer, mower, gas hedge trimmer, welder, motorcycle, kayak, the list goes on an on ( ahhhhhhh No)

if it's a neighbor I give them my standard answer.

No I don't loan tools an equipment (including hand tools). What I will do (when time permits) I will come over an cut One tree limb, or help you with your project for 15 minutes. That's all 15mins

My best advice an most guys/girls totally understand is.

The equipment I have is fairly expensive, Your prob better off renting the equipment you need. If you rent it an happen to damage or destroy it, it's covered by the rider you sign at rental.
My equipment you would have to replace at retail the following day.

When I explain thing this way most completely understand

i figure if a guy/girl doesn't have a chainsaw for instance. I'm certainly not gonna loan out one of my saws so they can remove they're fingers or open up they're leg. from improper use

the asking to barrow one of my pressure washers is one a get often I say No

See less See more
Reactions: Southmississippi
#2 ·
I used t be real good about letting people borrow things until I realised that when they break them, they have no problem returning them as is without any attempt to fix them or make amends. Loaned trailers that would come back with bent landing legs. Loaned a steam cleaner that came back with the whole case cracked in half and super glued back together. That was the one that ended me loaning things out to anyone.

#4 ·
The answer is always no. Unless its a very close friend or family, then its no or I'll do it for you.

I had a neighbor that always wanted to borrow a mower,edger,blower,truck..... NO... He did offer to let me use his tools if I needed, but I already have a rake, shovel and garden hose haha
Anymore, I ask them first. Just like the guys that walk up asking for change, I ask them first. After a "yo, you got 80 cents, I'm tryn to get this soda cuz", they know not to bother
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
Another always 'NO!' here too. Used to be one who'd loan out tools until a neighbor up the road denied borrowing and claimed to know nothing about my Miller 211 mig welder. Since I had no way of conclusively proving he borrowed it, I was screwed out of the ~$950 replacement cost. Three years later he comes flying down the road needing to borrow my phone to call in that his garage was on fire. Since "my battery was dead" and I no longer loan things out, it sucked to be him.

#8 ·
even friends or extended family members get the same standard No I do not loan equipment. :)

what I tell them is I will empower you by helping you learn to properly use the a chainsaw, pressure washer, etc etc I will help you with your project (when my time permits, again setting a time limit, generally 15-30mins)

Another classic is "Hey buddy can you help me (insert the job or project here) I'll buy pizza, beer, etc etc
My answer to that classic is No Thank you I can buy my own pizza and beer :drinkup::clapping::dizzy::confused:

I know to some renting or buying a decent lawn mower, chainsaw, pressure washer, mitre saw, drill, etc etc is an can be intimidating. So I offer to help them with there decision to buy said item. Generally first by asking them to read a Forum such as this on there chosen tool or topic.

#9 ·
Another always 'NO!' here too. Used to be one who'd loan out tools until a neighbor up the road denied borrowing and claimed to know nothing about my Miller 211 mig welder. Since I had no way of conclusively proving he borrowed it, I was screwed out of the ~$950 replacement cost. Three years later he comes flying down the road needing to borrow my phone to call in that his garage was on fire. Since "my battery was dead" and I no longer loan things out, it sucked to be him.
hahaha ---i hope he caught it on fire using your welder

#10 ·
Il loan stuff out at times, most of my friends quit asking, one wanted to use my backhoe so he could hire someone to put in a water main <would hire me>. the same feller accused me of breaking his pressure washer that he left outside in sub freezing weather. I did ask to borrow it but opted out to purchase one instead. We don't swap out stuff anymore.

Every time I loan out a chain saw it comes back with a blue bar, I mean every time. Now I just say the chain is worn out, but your welcome to purchase a chain and use the saw, like that's gonna happen.

#13 ·
Every time I loan out a chain saw it comes back with a blue bar, I mean every time. Now I just say the chain is worn out, but your welcome to purchase a chain and use the saw, like that's gonna happen.
That's a good one. I don't mind handing someone one of my fountain pens. Just never hand over the cap (and watch what happens if it ends up in someone's pocket.

The times I get someone asking for a chainsaw, I just show up with my saw. It's always seemed like a better idea. Even if they buy me a new chain, I don't want dirt messing up the sprocket.

That reminds me. I really need to borrow MY pressure washer back from my cousin.

#14 ·
Pressure washers are in demand. I know when I lent mine it was started without the water turned on, plus it came back with a tipectomy. Started with four tips, ended up with two. Some people have no clue

#16 ·
The dissapointment in having something returned; broken, dull, damaged far out weighs the dissapointment of someone getting a "No".

I've had a pressure washer returned [by my pastor] that had been run without water flowing [I suspect] as it no longer made pressure.
Now, you'd think that a Pastor would fess up to wrecking one of your tools, but this guy was clueless that he'd done anything wrong. Do you want someone like that running your stuff?
There ARE a [very] few that I'll loan stuff out to, but not many.

#17 ·
Il loan stuff out at times, most of my friends quit asking, one wanted to use my backhoe so he could hire someone to put in a water main . the same feller accused me of breaking his pressure washer that he left outside in sub freezing weather. I did ask to borrow it but opted out to purchase one instead. We don't swap out stuff anymore. Every time I loan out a chain saw it comes back with a blue bar, I mean every time. Now I just say the chain is worn out, but your welcome to purchase a chain and use the saw, like that's gonna happen.
Love this reply!