Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cut open the sprinkler connection cable that was not buried as well as it should have been, near my garage door... cut it with a trimmer. Now two of the zones don't come on. So I assume I need to splice the cable... it is 7-strans sprinkler connection cable. Do I just splice the same way you splice any cable, or is there a special way to do it? I can't find much info, but I assume I am not the first person to do this...

Thanks!

· Registered
4,896 Posts
And bury it deeper or cover it so it doesn't get cut again.

I always use a six inch box for splices not located in regular valve boxes, and unless there's a lot of slack you may want to add a foot of cable, thereby doubling your number of splices.

· Banned
19,676 Posts
And bury it deeper or cover it so it doesn't get cut again.

I always use a six inch box for splices not located in regular valve boxes, and unless there's a lot of slack you may want to add a foot of cable, thereby doubling your number of splices.
What do you do if cut right above ground? Have to use a double splice to get slack and one is going to be above grade. Rerun wire from the timer and splice once below grade?

· Banned
3,159 Posts
Guess the installer ran out of pipe, leaving the wire exposed.:laugh:

Even someone from FL can fix this: pull new piece of wire out of clock, long enough to get into ground, cover with conduit, then splice either in a close-by existing VB or pop in a 6" ala Mt. Catanese.

· Banned
19,676 Posts
First thing I would do is change out that 1800 top with the older, cracked, flaking wiper seal - lots of wasted water at the foundation.

THEN I would worry about the wiring. but that's just me :)
Actually that did get done. You should know me better than that by now. I don't carry lots of multi strand so pulling wire means lots of reds and one white. To get by I cut a 6" valve box in half. Use that as a wire protector and resplice the wire. The original pipe was run into the ground. Class 200 doesn't last long exposed and weed wacked.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had plenty of slack, the splice went well using silicone-filled wire nuts. It's a pretty good size blob of nutes now, what is best to cover? Irig8r, can you provide a link to the box you are referring to? Thanks.

· Registered
4,896 Posts
Guess the installer ran out of pipe, leaving the wire exposed.:laugh:

Even someone from FL can fix this: pull new piece of wire out of clock, long enough to get into ground, cover with conduit, then splice either in a close-by existing VB or pop in a 6" ala Mt. Catanese.
You must have me confused with my youngest son... I don't resemble a mountain, but at 6' 5" he does sometimes... especially when he's playing volleyball and you're the opponent...

BTW, funny line about "even someone from FL"...

· Registered
4,896 Posts

· Banned
3,159 Posts
You must have me confused with my youngest son... I don't resemble a mountain, but at 6' 5" he does sometimes... especially when he's playing volleyball and you're the opponent...

BTW, funny line about "even someone from FL"...
Yeah, can't type worth a flip half the time, forget to spell check most of the time.

Congrats on the super season, you must be one proud Dad!

We down here in the Sunshine State take so much crap from the NE and NW corners of the country:cry:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.