Hey, pros, can you answer a sprinler cable questions for me?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mntentman, Aug 3, 2008.

1. mntentman

mntentman LawnSite Member

I cut open the sprinkler connection cable that was not buried as well as it should have been, near my garage door... cut it with a trimmer. Now two of the zones don't come on. So I assume I need to splice the cable... it is 7-strans sprinkler connection cable. Do I just splice the same way you splice any cable, or is there a special way to do it? I can't find much info, but I assume I am not the first person to do this...

Thanks!

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

splice it and waterproof it.

3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

And bury it deeper or cover it so it doesn't get cut again.

I always use a six inch box for splices not located in regular valve boxes, and unless there's a lot of slack you may want to add a foot of cable, thereby doubling your number of splices.

4. FIMCO-MEISTER

FIMCO-MEISTER Banned

What do you do if cut right above ground? Have to use a double splice to get slack and one is going to be above grade. Rerun wire from the timer and splice once below grade?

5. FIMCO-MEISTER

FIMCO-MEISTER Banned

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

fimco if that was me I would continue the pvc to the ground with 2 splices....

make sure nothing is open to the elements......Thats how I would do it.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

First thing I would do is change out that 1800 top with the older, cracked, flaking wiper seal - lots of wasted water at the foundation.

THEN I would worry about the wiring. but that's just me :)

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

:::decides to line trim along the wall::::::

9. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Guess the installer ran out of pipe, leaving the wire exposed.:laugh:

Even someone from FL can fix this: pull new piece of wire out of clock, long enough to get into ground, cover with conduit, then splice either in a close-by existing VB or pop in a 6" ala Mt. Catanese.

10. FIMCO-MEISTER

FIMCO-MEISTER Banned

Actually that did get done. You should know me better than that by now. I don't carry lots of multi strand so pulling wire means lots of reds and one white. To get by I cut a 6" valve box in half. Use that as a wire protector and resplice the wire. The original pipe was run into the ground. Class 200 doesn't last long exposed and weed wacked.