Lawn Care Forum banner

Hey Trimmer Gurus:

12K views 49 replies 11 participants last post by  Ridin' Green 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a more powerful trimmer than my (discontinued) Stihl FS-80R = a GREAT 2-stroke trimmer btw...and still running strong. Also, I both trim (at lower RPMs) & edge (at mod/high RPMs) with my string trimmer.

I've done quite a bit of research here at LS, but I'm confused as to whether Stihl's 4Mix trimmers are easy or challenging to feather at lower throttle speeds, as I've read both.

From Stihl, I've narrowed it down a bit to:

FS-70R - (27.2cc) which is actually a slightly larger 2-stroke engine than my FS-80R (25cc)
FS-250R - the BEAST of 2-strokes, but a LOT of money

FS-100RX - essentially a lighter FS-110R which is a 4Mix
FS-130R - the most powerful 4Mix Stihl offers

Comments on other brands are welcome, but I'm aiming for at least middling power or greater. From other local dealers I can get Echo, RedMax, Shindaiwa, & Husqvarna.

#2 ·
I am going to buy a 130 or 250 soon myself, maybe tomorrow. The FS100RX won't accept any other attachments if that matters to you.

I have the FS90R. It is a great trimmer, but yes, they are a bit hard to feather smoothly. They run great at idle to about 1/4 throttle, then they tend to jump up to around 3/4 throttle or slightly more. I have no idea why they do it, or why Stihl doesn't correct it because their 4 mix blowers are extremely smooth throughout their throttle range.

Mine has gotten better with use, though it really hasn't had that much use. I bought the edger attachment for it and that stays on it constantly unless I use the pole pruner. The 4 mixer's have awesome torque down low, and if the line gets tangled in the grass/weeds etc, just pulling the trigger rips right on through it where a 2 stroke usually needs to be withdrawn first to get the R's back up.

If you want about the best trimmer you can get for trimming and edging, get the Husky 223L or 323L. The 323 is the best choice because it has a solid shaft and a little more HP. I have found very little weeds and grass that my 223 won't handle, and it is the lightest trimmer that you can find for commercial use.

#3 ·
Thanks RG...fwiw, both the Stihl website and my dealer say the 250 doesn't accept other Gearbox Attachments (except the Cultivator)...but I thought I had read on an older thread that someone said that they did, so IDK for sure.

I really am intrigued by Husky...though of all my regional/local dealers, they're the furthest out of the way. Need to go and check them out in person.

#4 · (Edited)
I have been reading through old threads and know that at least 2 different guys here use their attachments with their 250's. One of them I read today by a guy named nosparkplugs IIRC.

I talked to Stihl about it a few days ago, and asked if it was just a power thing with the 250 and the attachments, and they said yeah the 250 is just too much power for everything but the cultivator and will tear them up in fairly short order. That's why I am leaning towards the 130 a little. I would jump on a left over 2012 Husky 335 at a local place that is selling them for a good price, but I want to use my attachments so I have to stick with Stihl. The new version of the Husky is the 535 and has been downgraded a little in HP thanks to the EPA regs. The 335 is rated at the same power as the 250, but I find that a little suspect since it is the same size engine as the 130- 36cc.

#6 ·
My Stihl rep told me that they are fixing to come out with a new two stroke trimmer.. It's gonna be a Fs 92 he said they should be out in September if you can wait til then... I HATE the four mix and he said they were gonna come with the two stroke 92 because of the complaints on the 4 mix... The four mix are great if you run the guard but will bog down and gum up if you run without the guard... That's why I don't like em.... And I don't like having to have the valves set
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
get a honda or a husqvarna 4 stroke. husqvarna uses the same honda engine.

i've had my honda over 10 years and i've never adjusted the valves at all. still runs perfectly and cranks first pull. these are great for low rpm trimming since they have more torque than a 2 stroke. they run on straight gas too. no mixing of oil needed.

#10 ·
Interesting about the Stihl FS 92. Not sure I want to wait until Fall, though. Am aiming to put my trusty FS-80R into backup status and use the new trimmer as primary due to exercising the warranty while I would have it.

Which Husky uses the Honda engine? Is it the 426LST? In Husky's comparison chart there is no weight or specs given. Looks like the 324LDX is an attachment/combi/kombi-type and it may also use the Honda engine. Not wanting to go this route, though.

Anybody know anything about Husky's 430LS?

I'd get Stihl's FS-250R in a heartbeat if it didn't cost so dang much. With tax it would be over $600.

#11 ·
I personally like the redmax equipment currently looking at a bcz2660ts looking about $380 good power to weight ratio reliable i have a bcz 2650s already the only difference is in the shaft. the s being a solid shank and the ts a hardend hollow only about 15 dollars difference

#12 ·
I personally like the redmax equipment currently looking at a bcz2660ts looking about $380 good power to weight ratio reliable i have a bcz 2650s already the only difference is in the shaft. the s being a solid shank and the ts a hardend hollow only about 15 dollars difference
The hollow shaft version isn't recommended or approved for the other attachment heads, nor is the extra torque models. I've looked at the RM models, but for the same basic cost I can step up to a much more powerful trimmer in the Stihl line.

#13 ·
good call ridin' green i dont use anything but a trimmer head on mine so either is good for me... i have good luck with all the redmax equipment so i stick with them bottom line for me would be dealer support if i didnt have a good dealer locally i would switch to a different brand... i do have some stihl equipment that i have got some great used deals on and i do run stihl chain saws but for trimmers and blowers i think redmax takes the cake

#14 ·
The hollow shaft version isn't recommended or approved for the other attachment heads, nor is the extra torque models. I've looked at the RM models, but for the same basic cost I can step up to a much more powerful trimmer in the Stihl line.
This is my observation as well. My old RedMax was as dependable as dependable could get...but, I've not heard as much good about their current dependability as I would prefer. It did not have the power that my FS-80 has, fwiw...though it was close to if not RM's smallest commercial trimmer at the time.

#15 ·
I like Redmax tools, and I'd really like to buy the Reciprocator this year, but their biggest trimmer is only on a par with the FS110, so that ruled them out for me. I have been reading lots of negative things about their most recent tools too, so that makes me a bit hesitant as well.

#17 ·
On paper, RedMax has some enticing machines, no doubt.

My concern as a solo is that I NEED it to start and be GTG in short order. I'm not needing it to start and then run continuously ALL day...others prolly do.
-Still own a RM HH blower that was reliable, but cold-blooded.
-My 8001 BP blower is a BEAST & is ALWAYS ready to go.
-From talking with a died-in-the-wool RM-fan LCO buddy, his take is that RM trimmers have slid in recent years. This concerns me cuz I read similar things around here at LS.

I talked with a RM dealer who found out the RM Extra Torque Trimmers are more-or-less made for users who remove the guard = meaning they can spin a longer line. They also have a hollow driveshaft making them a bit lighter.

FWIW, I don't want a bike handled brushcutter, but a simple loop-handled trimmer with some added power to enable edging through the tougher stuff...as well as some off-road trimming if needed. For my preference: the guard is always removed (no bashing please) cuz I want to see what I'm doing and have the most maneuverability around yard items.

#18 ·
The only complaints I ever hear or read about RM are about their trimmer carbs going bad very quickly now, and the early 8500 overheating issue. The carb thing is not just from ethanol or all brands would be having problems that quickly. I assume they switched carb brands a while back and that is what is causing the issue. Regardless, I'd probably buy one if they made one big enough to match the 130 or 250. They have the weight down there, just not the power I am looking for.

I'm wanting a loop handle version too. I plan on using it for more than trimming/cutting weeds etc.

#20 ·
Here ya go: RedMax BCZ350S (reportedly) coming in at 2.15hp, 34.6cc, 13.0lbs and ~$460. About $110 less than a FS-250R when you add in tax. Still not sure I'd go this direction, but I sure enjoy examining my options! One complaint in one of the reviews was a ~2min warm-up needed. This unit is listed under RM's Brushcutters, but has a loop handle.

http://www.redmax.com/products/brushcutters/bcz350s/#tab-techdata

#21 ·
I saw that one and it is tempting, but having all these Stihl attachments that go on my 90 is making me lean heavily towards the 130 or 250. I found a darn good deal on a 250, so I may go and get it.

I know Stihl said not to use the attachments on their 250, but I've chatted with several guys who do since I started looking around again, and they haven't had any problem doing it. Maybe I won't either. It isn't like I will use them all the time. I just want to be able to when I need to (mainly the pole pruner head, which would be nice being driven by the 250), without fear of trashing them.

Shoot, if it weren't for these heads I have, I'd prolly already have the Husky 335. I like their tools very much, and I found a few for $399.

#22 ·
husqvarna 326 2 stroke. light powerful and affordable all day long. Never breaks down. never ever.
Thanks al. If I was going to go with a ~comparable trimmer to what I have now...this Husky would be a SURE contender. Just looking for a nice step up in power to compliment my FS-80.

Hell, I may go this route anyway...time will tell. :drinkup:

#23 ·
Thanks al. If I was going to go with a ~comparable trimmer to what I have now...this Husky would be a SURE contender. Just looking for a nice step up in power to compliment my FS-80.

Hell, I may go this route anyway...time will tell. :drinkup:
Seems like for what you want, the RM BCZ3050S would be a good choice. 1.4HP and just over 12 LBS.

I see echo doesn't have the guts to show the HP anymore, just the cc's.:rolleyes: The cc's don't mean anything if the carb doesn't feed it well enough to produce power.

#24 ·
Seems like for what you want, the RM BCZ3050S would be a good choice. 1.4HP and just over 12 LBS.

I see echo doesn't have the guts to show the HP anymore, just the cc's.:rolleyes: The cc's don't mean anything if the carb doesn't feed it well enough to produce power.
This 3050 is basically priced the same as a 110 with essentially identical power (on paper)...& so for $40 more bucks I could step up to a 130 and gain another 1/2 hp!?! The 130 is quite appealing I gotta say.

I also noticed that about Echo. Weird, huh. :sleeping:

#25 ·
I believe that the 130 has all the power I need for what I want, but I hate the way the 4 mixer's don't rev smoothly from idle to full throttle. I can hold my 90 at 1/3 throttle for a few seconds, then it either dies off or jumps up. That pisses me off when trying to trim or edge near cars. That is the only thing keeping me from jumping all over a 130 right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.