Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so we've all got them: the lawns with a gate that is just a little too small. Well, if you know me, you know that I despise using any mower that I cant ride on a seat. I found a solution.

I have this lawn with a sizeable back yard, and a gate the Walker with deck on will NOT go through. Solution? Take the deck off. Sure, I dont gain that much time, but by taking the deck off, I can run the mower through the gate, then put the deck back on, and cut the lawn from the comfort of my Walker seat, instead of following around the stupid 21" mower.

This works well with a 42" deck...but a 48" may be heavy enough that it may not be as simple as just carrying the deck through the gate.

· Registered
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really it comes off as quick as it needs to. Undo the springs, pull 2 pins, undo the PTO shaft and it slides right off. Off-On takes maybe 2 minutes at most.

· Banned
44 Posts
Really it comes off as quick as it needs to. Undo the springs, pull 2 pins, undo the PTO shaft and it slides right off. Off-On takes maybe 2 minutes at most.
Bet you'll save more than 2 minutes riding vs walking, plus you'll be alot more productive towards the end of the day because you didn't wear yourself out walking all day.

If the gate isn't terribly elaborate, offer to install a larger gate for a nominal price to make life even simpler.

· Registered
777 Posts
Been there done that. The hardest part for me is getting the pto shaft lined back up while holding the 48 ghs deck. I did this one day on a back yard that is about 3500 feet when it was about 100 degrees....never again! When it's cool its not as bad but still feels like I have wrestled a bear when I am done.
You also have to take it off and put in on to go in and take it off and put in on to come out!

· Registered
10,982 Posts
never used a walker so i dont know anything about removing the deck, but the problem i see is bagging. most guys use walkers for the bagging capabilities, and if you have to haul off the clippings you would have to remove the deck more than once if the lawn was larger than one hopper full. like i said, never touched a walker, but my $00.02.

· Registered
3,009 Posts
I hated doing that with my Walker and I was fast at it, but it was a pita in 100 degree heat. I used the mulching deck too which was the esiest to take off an on. The bagging deck was a pain lining up the chute to the blower , and lining up the drive shaft coupler... Now if they say there is a fence I ask them to measure their gate before I even aggree to look at the job. However, I would be to busy if I mowed fenced back yards.....maybe I should look into that if business ever slows down.....What mower to use?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.