Lawn Care Forum banner

Hi-Yield dimension app rate

15K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  ussoldierforhire 
#1 ·
Has anyone had success with Hi-Yields' Pre-Emergent Herbicide containing dimension?

The bag states it will treat up to 15,000 square feet. My yard is 9,200 square feet and using the lowest setting of 6 with a Scotts Accugreen 2000 drop spreader, I was able to treat about 90% of my yard.

It seems to me that the settings are off. Has anyone else used a Scott's accugreen drop spreader to apply this stuff? What settings did you find worked?

#2 ·
You want perfection? You are only about 40 percent heavy. Next time walk 40 percent faster.
For what purpose are you applying the Dimension? At what rate per acre? What type of grass? What type of weed? The tougher weeds need more--so you may be in the correct range.

#3 ·
USSoldier,
Hi-Yield's granular products don't configure with the Scott's and other spreaders that are geared for their own products. Calibrating a spreader isn't hard but usually is done before a product is applied. You need to apply a product that is equivalent to the size and weight of the original product.
The numbers on the handle and the numbers on the bag doesn't compare!!! IF the hi-yield bag didn't give a chart, then the spreader needs to be calibrated.
How much did you overlap the swath? Most residential spreaders will cast 5-8 feet wide--give or take!!
Too much overlap takes more product to cover a given area.

I used to apply Scott's halts for a customer using his Scott's easy speader. The settings were something like #5 for those 25# bags to cover 15,000 sq.ft. I set the spreader at the recommended number and did minimum overlap to evenly spread the materials. To make it short---It ended up taking 2 bags more of their product to cover his lawn than listed. This was consistent with each time I applied his products. The same goes for the winterizer, spring green up materials, etc.
What number did you apply the product at??
The halts materials are usually finely ground and will disperse quite quickly under good moisture conditions without clumping.

Are you trying to kill crabgrass?????
What turf do you have????

#4 ·
I have a bermuda lawn. I am killing a current southern crabgrass infestation as well as trying to prevent future growth. The spreader that I chose to use is my scotts 2000 accugreen drop spreader. I went with the lowest setting according to the bag whichwitstates it will cover 15,000 sq ft. My yard is just over 9,000 sq ft and I ran out of the product with a few hundred square feet left. I'm guessing i just need to walk faster with it.

#5 ·
Dimension is mainly a pre-emergent herbicide--blocks seed from coming up. At high rates it will kill YOUNG crabgrass, (mostly if it is less than one-inch tall). The high rate should help--but--there is a good chance the crabgrass was already past the stage when Dimension would work.

#6 ·
Dimension is mainly a pre-emergent herbicide--blocks seed from coming up. At high rates it will kill YOUNG crabgrass, (mostly if it is less than one-inch tall). The high rate should help--but--there is a good chance the crabgrass was already past the stage when Dimension would work.
I know it won't kill the existing crabgrass I have MSMA that I'm applying to kill it off. But it has been spreading like wildfire and I wanted to keep it from spreading while I attack it with the MSMA.

#7 ·
USSoldier,
We applied Pre-M liquid in a split application this season for crabgrass control. The early part of the season was cool on into the first of June.(Way too late for pendimethalin in my area)!!!!!
The rains tore us a new ice hole...!
We applied all that we could according to the label recommendations, and our clayic soils took longer to heat up this year. All was well until the heat started to spike in Mid June, just in time for the crabgrass to overwhelm our lawns. It was too late to do anything about it now. We are hitting the stew out of these weeds with MSMA and adjuvant. Fert between the apps, and throw the growth on the grass. Thicken out those thin spots and crowd out the crab! Then hit is again with MSMA!!!! in a couple of weeks again.. Our lawns are somwhat crab free but we are still having the outbreaks of the smooth variety.

#8 ·
USSoldier,
We applied Pre-M liquid in a split application this season for crabgrass control. The early part of the season was cool on into the first of June.(Way too late for pendimethalin in my area)!!!!!
The rains tore us a new ice hole...!
We applied all that we could according to the label recommendations, and our clayic soils took longer to heat up this year. All was well until the heat started to spike in Mid June, just in time for the crabgrass to overwhelm our lawns. It was too late to do anything about it now. We are hitting the stew out of these weeds with MSMA and adjuvant. Fert between the apps, and throw the growth on the grass. Thicken out those thin spots and crowd out the crab! Then hit is again with MSMA!!!! in a couple of weeks again.. Our lawns are somwhat crab free but we are still having the outbreaks of the smooth variety.
Exactly what i've been doing. I applied Halt's crabgrass preventer in early March. Too late for my yard. I had crabgrass thriving by mid-late February! The halts was useless. I thought I had it under control until June came along and my entire neighborhood blew up with what I believe to be southern crabgrass.

Is a light app of dimension every two months too hard on the turf?

#9 ·
For me it is too late for Dimension. I Don't use it.......because it is too expensive right now! I can't justify the cost!!

Dithiopyr, has root pruning abilities and depending on the % of A.I. it should be ok.
Keep the health of the turf on the top of the list with fertilizing. Water efficiently and apply the granules, as it needs watering in to get the material to the soil.

Dithiopyr (DIMENSION) belongs to a class of herbicide known as pyridines. It is a selective herbicide primarily used for preemergence annual grass control in established turfgrass. It can, however, be used for post-emergence control of young (1-3 leaf) grass seedlings. It inhibits cell division and cell growth of meristematic regions (growing points of roots and shoots). Dithiopyr is lost from soil by chemical and microbial degradation.

#11 ·
take that drop spreader and throw it away. Get a broadcast spreader!

Apply Barricade in like early Feb. or at least 4 weeks b4 your soil temps are 55degrees. You could also do a 2nd app 7 weeks later. some people use dimension then. Halts needs at least 2 applications to be effective. Maybe try some Echelon if you have nutsedge problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.