hiding your head in the sand (with a system check)

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by squirtnfert, Apr 20, 2017.

1. squirtnfert

squirtnfert LawnSite Member

im looking for tips on how to talk people out of this behavior. why do they want a system check when i already know where some problems are? what good does it do to find some new problems when we never addressed the existing ones? for the love of all things good please give me some talking points or comparative figures of speech that will allow me to convince people a system check is a futile waste of everyones time and money......go

RhettMan likes this.
  2. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Just tell them to quit being a cheapskate.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt likes this.
  3. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Silver Member

Tell them to pony up and fix the issues or you'll fly Mike Leary out to inspect the system and then they'll have to take out a second mortgage to fix the issues.....

SRT8, Mike Leary, kellanv and 5 others like this.
  4. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Do you think he will be able to put the cone markers in the overhead compartment or have to check them?

5. stebs

stebs LawnSite Senior Member

That made me literally lol. :laugh::laugh::clapping:

hort101 likes this.
  6. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not sure if he would let them out of his sight.... might turn into an incident....

7. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

What exactly do you mean when you say "system check", what does it entail or what does the customer want to find out?

8. squirtnfert

squirtnfert LawnSite Member

that mike leary idea is not bad. school systems i have a bunch of heads on a bermuda field that dont retract, a non functioning master, several areas heads need moved around, three heads plugged up from mainline repair junk in the pipe, need to add a head to water some flowers, several busted up pit boxes, suspect very small leak at exit of sleeve etc etc. got my dumdum baby goals for may one being system check lol

9. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

In that case a "system check" means driving by the site and reporting that it still sucks.

Crap, you're looking for advice. Hmm, there's always the liability issue.
    Say there's a broken head pouring water into the street, what if someone drives through that water and loses control of their vehicle? Who gets sued?
    What if that head spraying the street sprays some rich person's vehicle that just got washed? Who gets sued?
    What if a city inspector parks their vehicle right next to a running zone, gets out and is sprayed with water, and then threatens you with having all of your future irrigation inspections rejected (I had this happen).
    What if that broken sprinkler head shoots water into an open convertible top vehicle (I've seen it).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Mike fly's UNITED, they'll put the cones where they damned well please!!!