1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

High price gas mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bike5200, May 14, 2008.

1. bike5200

bike5200 LawnSite Member
    from Ky

A friend of mine that mows, said he was going to a four day week, 12 hours a day for his mowing crew.They work a little over time each day to get done. One less day driving to jobs. His shop is out, they probably have a 30-45-60 minute drive to the first stop. A majority of his mowing is commercial and the developer he work for just calls him up and tells him to do a new building and send him a bill. Let me add this, my friend will fax a invoice at 8:00 AM at the end of the month to the develop and will go by his office at 1:00PM and pick a check up. He does mowing, landscaping, snow removal and property up keep. A monthly bill can be 10 to 50 thousand dollars. My friend watches what he charges the developer. He has a fuel surcharge on all his jobs, pricing is the same. I added this information so you will know my friend situation.
    My question is. Will he save or make more money on a four day work week?

2. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

Im trying to do the same thing. If my guys show up in the morning load the trailer grab a coffee and fuel up before the first lawn, longer hours and less days saves money. I give my guys a lunch break for the most part. Sometimes it grabbing some food and eating on the way to a lawn but less days = less piddling around.