1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

High traffic damage?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by the.hines, Dec 8, 2007.

1. the.hines

the.hines LawnSite Member

Any idea of what to do to a yard that is starting to look pretty muddy from high traffic area? I was looking into maybe overseeding with some winter rye grass but I kind of need a quick fix for this one?

Thanks Shawn

2. the.hines

This is just a little bump to the top...

3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Sun or shade? Whats your average temps there? Is it light weight traffic or heavily compacted?

4. ericlemson

ericlemson LawnSite Member

rye is pretty fragile and wont stand up to the traffic. Might need to try another alternative. Unfortunatly without knowing more about the area, I cant suggest anything.

5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

yeh we need a little more detail. rye is not the answer at all.

6. the.hines

It is going to be a full sun area. Temp are well it is Nashville TN. Soil seems to be a clay mixture. The high traffic area is from the dogs running around the yard. It seems they created trails down the fences. I think I would like to get some sod but I am not sure where to go this time of year? I don't need enough to go to the farm and buy a pallet.

7. ericlemson

ericlemson LawnSite Member

if there continues to be high traffic, then rye wont work. Bermuda sod would be a quick fix, but would eventially wear down as well. Might need to think up a different alternative, not involving turf.

8. DavisLawn

DavisLawn LawnSite Member

i also have a yard like this and would like to hear advice from you guys... mine's in a shady yard... the drought and her WANTING to do the yard when its damp has been tough on the yard.... any ideas?

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

the only problem I have with my lawn is the fact I can't see the dam thing under all this snow.....

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure if it is warm enough for rye grass--or did you mean actual grain winter rye. Either way I suspect you need temps above about 45 degrees for most of the day.

Does anybody have a suggested crop that would grow at temps below 45 degrees? Winter peas--maybe?

Try to spread out the dog traffic particularly when grass is dormant or soil is wet.

Put a few lawn chairs, picnic tables, bicycles, 57 plymouths on blocks --whatever you have--to block the path of the dogs and guide them to where you want. Change the pattern every week.

If you have to--put down flat paving stones in the heavily trafficked areas.