High Value Accounts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by richardsonlawnnlandscape, Jan 11, 2017.

1. richardsonlawnnlandscape

richardsonlawnnlandscape LawnSite Member

I am lost. I run a great business that is customer focused, advertisements are professionally made, my employees are uniformed, and I make it my goal to make sure each job is perfect even if I am going to lose money. On the flip side of that I have an acquaintance in this industry that does great work but he doesn't advertise at all except for the markings on his truck and he is pulling high value customers like large dealerships, restaurants and country music artist. (We are in the south of Nashville are). Is there some secret way of advertising to the extremely wealthy that I don't know about or has he just ended up in the right place at the right time?

2. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Gold Member

I also don't do any advertising, but I talk to everyone. You got to get noticed, talk to your banker a lot they know about all the new businesses coming in and out of town. Chat at gas stations. Every where you go talk to ppl, not even about your business necessarily. Just be friendly to everyone. When ppl see adds its just 1 more of ten thousand adds they see every day. Unless they have a connection with you the just google or ph book, then try to figure out which of 30 lawn guys seem most honest/dependable/competent. Because every add is simply a brag point for all 30 LCO's
    In my view its all about connections.
    And those you have to build.
    No slick add can do that.

oh ok likes this.
  3. richardsonlawnnlandscape

That's definitely food for thought, I used to be that way but over the years as I started to get phone calls all day I just became work focused and stopped talking to a lot of people. I usually just mind my own in public places and try to get in and get out.

4. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from NJ

Not about who you are cutting for, but the profit margins. I just passed on the opportunity to bid a big 3 year City maintenance contract because the last bidders were doing it for such low prices, I could not even match them.

5. richardsonlawnnlandscape

That's why I titled the post "high value accounts." He is picking up clients and doing half million dollar hardscape jobs for them. I'm not worried about "cuttin grass" I look for maintenance contracts for clients who want everything maintained at all times.

6. richardsonlawnnlandscape

On the flipside of that I bid on a city maintenance contract last year and lost the bid to the vice president's ex husband by $5. Talked to him the other day and he is barely making a dime off of them and trying to sub them out. Then had the nerve to ask me if I wanted the contract. I started laughing and walked off. Funny how things work out.

kawasaki guy likes this.
  7. Lawns P.L.U.S.

Lawns P.L.U.S. LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Minnesota

Are you in an area that is still developing, bc hardscapers get a lot of work @ new construction.

8. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes its not what you know but who you know!

kawasaki guy likes this.
  9. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Networking and who you know. I too have friends in the business that have NEVER advertised and make considerably more then I do. I advertise year round and work hard for each account I acquire.

kawasaki guy likes this.
  10. Adeas Printing

Adeas Printing Sponsor

Just in case you decide you do need some more advertisement you should come check us out for your doorhanger, flyer, or postcard needs we have the best prices!
    $99 - 1,000 FULL COLOR - FULL SIZE Band-It Door Hangers
    Check out more pricing options http://www.adeasprinting.com/door-hangers/