1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

High Wheel Mowers !!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lifetree, Jan 2, 2007.

1. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone have a high wheel mower ?? If so, please advise your satisfaction with it and what make and model you have. Does anyone have a Sarlo high wheel mower ?? Sarlo is the original inventor back in 1935 and is still in business. I'd like to get a high wheel mower and it looks like it's coming down to a choice between the Billy Goat 24" high wheel mower and the Sarlo 26" high wheel mower. My only concern is that the Sarlo unit has a Briggs engine while the Billy Goat unit has a Kawasaki engine (i.e.-pressurized) ... any thoughts on this ??

2. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Craftsman 21" High wheel with the 6.75 Briggs, 3-in-1. Very good purchase, I love it!!!

3. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Billy Goat it is 4 years old briggs 6.5hp it has been a very good mower.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I am not 100% sure but I think that some of the Briggs have an oil pump. I am not positive though. I have one on a Craftsman that I used to use on hills 10 years ago. I will say the motor took abuse but its in the back of the garage for 8 years now as I went to Lawnboy 2 cycle and never looked back. Do some digging on the Briggs, they are tough.

5. Gbug

Gbug LawnSite Member

I have used a 21" Husqvarna hi-wheel for the past couple of years, and it has certainly been worth the $400 or so I paid for it. One thing I will warn you about a hi-wheel though, is the larger back wheels can lean inward and begin to rub the side of the deck. After about a year of the wheels leaning inwards and slowing my mower down, the axels finally snapped. Only about $15 in parts, and it was an easy fix...also after using a toro PP, I have to say, rear drive non-high-wheel mowers are easier to maneavour