1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Higher price VS lower price per month

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by privatelawn, Jul 27, 2007.

1. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Everyday I see threads about how can some lco's charge $70 per month and stay in business, everyone says in a few months they will go out of business because they dont know there true expenses or whatever.

It sure gets me to thinking... One day I tell myself im going to raise my prices, the next I tell myself stick with the original business plan which is maybe working unless I really dont know my business expenses...

Help me out here, where am I adding up wrong, why will my lower prices take me out of business?

First of all im setup as a C-corp/insured and am running my business myself with 1 helper, no workmans comp yet and in florida we can have 3 employes without workmans comp, plan is to get workmans comp soon and everthing else thats needed for when I hire real employes.

Business plan = $100k per month in pretty much just mowing ( at the moment im doing about $10k per month but with little advertising and havent been in business for a year yet)

For now im at just residentials and will use my calculations based on that even though plan is to be about 50%/50%

Ok now for the high price vs low price side of the story
    High price around here = $90 per month per home
    Low price = $70 per month

I figure at high price id be able to do 3 lawns per hour with a 2 man crew for 2 reasons, higher price= a better job, higher price = more windshield time

Low price id be able to do 5 an hour with a 2 man crew for the same 2 reasons as above lower price= a good job just not always perfect, lower price = less windshield time

@$90 per month crews will do 120 lawns per week, gross = $10800 per month
    @$70 per month crews will do 200 lawns per week, gross = $14000 per month
    So right here it tells me that my $70 per month price will make me more then the $90 per month in gross, as for net, dont know all the numbers yet

@$70 I would need 7 crews to gross $98k a month
    @$90 I would need 9 crews to gross $97k a month

Please give me your opinions, not trying to be a lowballer, bigger companys around are lower priced then solos, sure solos may do a better job but plan is a big company not solo.

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll gross more by working cheaper but you'll net less which is what really matters. Your gonna have to be mowing more yards at a cheaper rate, which means you'll be using the equipment more= more fuel, more repairs, more reg maint., etc. Gross doesn't mean a thing other then bragging rights, its all about NET!!!!

3. privatelawn

Ok so 1 crew at $90 gross $10800 per month
    While 1 crew at $70 gross $14000 per month

Now netting less doesnt seem possible using those figures.
    I didnt want to put all the factors in like extra gas etc because I think in the end there about the same with either price. For example id waste more gas on the equipment because id do more lawns but I would also have less drive time between clients = less gas in the truck.

Equipment comes with warranty, $7k z turns after 3 years can pretty much be thrown away and new ones bought, Echo hand gear cost so little that it can also be thrown away after a year of use with little effect on the gross

4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Those sound like unrealistic goals. I mean 200 lawn per week, come on, you could only maintain that for a week two at max.

5. privatelawn

For example 1 crew has
    1 echo edger = $250
    1 echo trimmer = $250
    1 stihl blower = $500
    1 ztr = $7000
    1 open trailer = $1400

say after every 1 year you throw the edger, blower, trimmer
    after 3 years you throw away the ztr and trailer

in those 3 years that equipment expense is $11400 the gross in those 3 years is $500k, now im not sure I can consider equipment a big expense

6. privatelawn

Why, does everyone just get tired after a week or 2? its not very unrealistic, I can do 4 an hour solo on the houses that are very close to each other, with time I will have more even closer...

7. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

4 in hour solo? very few of my lawns are 15 mins incl. drive time.. I don't think any are. My average lawn is about 30 min solo, maybe a bit more. Mind you I don't have a Z but even my 36 is too big for some of these lawns and my route is TIGHT.

I doubt a solo guy could average 15 min per yard as an average, all day, all week, all month. Not even all day.

But in a sense that is how I run my snow removal. Last year I had 50 customers and I was cheap, So I would have 25 of them in a neighborhood of about 3000 houses and the rest in the next.. a couple were spread around. But I understand the value of a tight route. Too much crap for me though, I'm raising my prices and doing half that this year.. unless I can get me a plow.

8. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

It's nice to dream, but this is not realistic. Yes I know there is a warranty but you'll soon realize that a dealer will try to blame it on either neglect or abuse which is not under warranty. I see you haven't been in business long so you will soon learn.

Now the main thing I was looking for was taxes, you mention nothing. Are you gonna pay because unlce sam usually gets about 1/3. 200 yards a week then you'll be changing blades nearly everyday assuming you do 40 yards. So thats about $35 give or take right there times 5 is $175 a week. These little things add up quickly.

9. privatelawn

I have a 52" ztr, lots are 50x100, fits on 98% of my customers, I unload the ztr, cut all 4, then edge all 4 etc

10. barcode148

barcode148 LawnSite Member

i hope you have more than 1 trimmer, edger, and blower on each rig. have fun if one of those breaks. i only cut 9 a day and when something breaks its a problem what happens when you have 35 to cut. also i hope you have either some type of backup mower on board its the same with that. i hope you dont take this the wrong way but you have to think of what that many yards a day entails. dont think of how to save money in the present think of how to save downtime and lost customers in the future.