• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Highest employee wages

4 seasons lawn&land

LawnSite Gold Member
With state labor prevailing wages being $30-60 in ny I’m starting to think that might be the only way to find REAL employees. Not that anyone can pay that much and make profit. But I’ve been wondering if anyone pays 30 or more.

kemco

LawnSite Platinum Member
As I stated in another thread, had prices increased with inflation since I was in let's just say high school. We dang near all could pay $30/hr and make good profit. Prices in lawn cutting have been stagnant, add in the advent or popularity of EOW cuts... That's what we are stuck with.

OP
4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land

LawnSite Gold Member
A $30/hr guy or gal would need to produce if my memory serves me correctly on rules of thumb about $120 per hour every hour. That 8 hour day that one ee needs to bring in $1000 minimum. We sure arent there on mowing.
That would leave you with how much margin before taxes?

kemco

LawnSite Platinum Member
Roughly 10 to 15%. On the app side I would come a whole lot closer to being able to pay this but it would still require a decent price increase, just not double. And it's already competitive as heck with TG lowballing rates I guess to squeeze independents out.

OP
4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land

LawnSite Gold Member
Roughly 10 to 15%. On the app side I would come a whole lot closer to being able to pay this but it would still require a decent price increase, just not double. And it's already competitive as heck with TG lowballing rates I guess to squeeze independents out.

So 30 an hour is $300 a day after taxes. 10 percent profit is $100 of a grand. That would mean your daily lawn mowing overhead is $600 a day?

kemco

LawnSite Platinum Member
No, 30 an hour is $900 to $1200 a day. 3 to 4 workers. On the lawn side we gross about $900 to $1200 a day actually with 3 to 4 people. Include overhead and I'm paying people to cut their lawns.

kemco

LawnSite Platinum Member
On apps a one man (me) can gross $1200 give or take in a day. I wouldn't expect quite that gross from a hire. All residential. And with commission and overrides on top of hourly pay $30 an hour for my spray tech (if I can find another) is pretty close to what I was paying anyway.