Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody in the Midwest running one or more light trucks with high miles, without too much in repairs each year?

If you have a truck with near or over 200k miles, what truck is it, and how many miles are on it?
And how much $ do you think you've put into it, from 150k until now?

Apparently the Silverado 2500HD is one of the most likely to get to 200K miles, but only about 7% of them get there. Data on longevity of trucks is not good, because it's measured only when odometer info is registered with the state. I'm guessing most people who run trucks over 200,000 miles tend to keep them till they die rather than sell them.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Retired now, but ran Ford F250 diesel pickups with high miles. I bought them with over 225,000 miles, from a big fleet. Usually drove them two seasons, then sold them to local folks and friends. I know a couple of the 97 models that are still running. I think the highest mileage on any I owned was about 500,000. I believe I owned 18 of them over the years.

·
Premium Member
8,859 Posts
I'm not Midwest but my mow truck is a ram 3500 dually with 5.6 Cummins I bought with 195k on it. It was my first diesel purchase. I have learned many things about diesels since then. For one don't buy a diesel at 200k unless the injectors and tubes have been recently replaced. Expensive lesson. I forget now but I think it's just over 275k now. I've got no plans on getting rid of it.

Spray truck is ford f350 with the hated 2007 5.4 gasser but Ive (knock on wood) have had zero engine issues except a new throttle body at about 125k. I did not get the two part plugs replaced yet but may this year. It's over a grand to get them replaced due to them breaking off. I'm now at 160k or right at it. I got it at around 40k miles. I've had it a while. No plans on getting rid of it either.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I drive a 2012 tahoe. This has the same motor as the silveradoes. Bought it in 2018 with 148000. It currently has 226000 miles. Only work I've done is brakes and tires. Zero engine or transmission work. I would not be surprised to hit 300000
Have the 5.3 in it? That engine will run forever. I have 245K on an Avalanche. I got it around 200K and haven't had to do too much. I replaced the driver's side valve cover.

Any GM truck with the 5.3L - is what I recommend for a 1500.

·
Registered
56,838 Posts
I'm not Midwest but my mow truck is a ram 3500 dually with 5.6 Cummins I bought with 195k on it. It was my first diesel purchase. I have learned many things about diesels since then. For one don't buy a diesel at 200k unless the injectors and tubes have been recently replaced. Expensive lesson. I forget now but I think it's just over 275k now. I've got no plans on getting rid of it.

Spray truck is ford f350 with the hated 2007 5.4 gasser but Ive (knock on wood) have had zero engine issues except a new throttle body at about 125k. I did not get the two part plugs replaced yet but may this year. It's over a grand to get them replaced due to them breaking off. I'm now at 160k or right at it. I got it at around 40k miles. I've had it a while. No plans on getting rid of it either.
Did the plugs on one of our Fords just a couple weeks ago. 05 F150 with 100k on it. Believe that portion of the bill was right about $1,000. Ford did it cause our independent shop didn't wanna risk it. 2 of the plugs broke so we made the right call.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
150? Haven't even hit middle age yet at 150. 300 all day :nod:
When you plow with them, and have other guys driving them, you tend to get rid of them sooner. Guys want to drive newer trucks, break downs start to cost big bucks with guys on OT, $160 per hour in labor roughly, plus the tow, plus the repair costs. And the bigger problem is how it effects your schedule.

sure they will run to 300. How much maintenance do you have to put into them, how many times does it leave the crew stranded or without a truck for the day due to repairs.

·
Registered
17,848 Posts
When you plow with them, and have other guys driving them, you tend to get rid of them sooner. Guys want to drive newer trucks, break downs start to cost big bucks with guys on OT, $160 per hour in labor roughly, plus the tow, plus the repair costs. And the bigger problem is how it effects your schedule.

sure they will run to 300. How much maintenance do you have to put into them, how many times does it leave the crew stranded or without a truck for the day due to repairs.
I absolutely agree with you.

What works for a smaller operation, won't work as well for a larger operation and vice versa. I was half kidding around in my prior post.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts