Highway mowing

Benchmarklm

LawnSite Member
Ok so i am going to put a bid in on a highway around here. the contract includes mowing along highway and trying around signs (someone before has sprayed roundup around signs so i doubt i need to do that often lol) I have a john deere 6330 with 15ft batwing mower. I was wondering how i would begin to bid this. the reason i have the mower is becuase i live on a farm which we use the tractor and mower. is there anything i need to look out for that might make the job harder. It about a 6 mile stretch of highway. I need to mow on either side of the highway and down the middle between north and south bound lanes which will be easy about two passes with 15 not many obstructions. Im sorry if i left details out ive never done a bushoging for anyone else besides my dad. any suggestions on how much to bid this at and how long this might take. i will post some arial pics soon

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
I know you don't want to hear this but you should just deal with the farm until you know what you're doing.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
B

Benchmarklm

LawnSite Member
I know you don't want to hear this but you should just deal with the farm until you know what you're doing.
Posted via Mobile Device
i understand this. that is why i am doing my research now the bid doesnt need to be in til september 2012. Its a two year contract so i will be putting bid in for summer of 2013 and 2014. Im trying to learn everything now so i can get into this.

Last edited:

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
Also, the state/county will require a insurance policy that will cost you a good bit just to be able to do the job.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
B

Benchmarklm

LawnSite Member
I already have insurance that will be suiteable for the city. I wondered about that so i called them and called my insurance company and its covered already

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
You need to figure out how much you can cut in a hour for starters.
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
Why do you have a policy if you're only cutting your dads farm?
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
B

Benchmarklm

LawnSite Member
o sorry i failed to mention that i have a lawncare and landscping company that have run since 2006 just looking to expand the company in a couple different directions and the tractor and mower already paid off so why not put a bid in.

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
No I don't. You're starting to make sense now. You should be able to go on a website to find out what they paid the last contractor.
Posted via Mobile Device