• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

hiring a new ride-on operator

americanlawn

LawnSite Fanatic
We'll be hiring two new employees within weeks. One for small lawns, and another to operate a "ride-on" for larger properties.

What qualities do you guys look for if you're looking to hire a new employee to operate a "ride-on sprayer spreader"?

I'm thinking:

athletic ability
self motivating
not over weight
quick thinking/intelligent
shows up to work everyday
Does age make a difference?

rscvp, thanks :usflag:

CHARLES CUE

LawnSite Gold Member
We'll be hiring two new employees within weeks. One for small lawns, and another to operate a "ride-on" for larger properties.

What qualities do you guys look for if you're looking to hire a new employee to operate a "ride-on sprayer spreader"?

I'm thinking:

athletic ability------I don't this is important
self motivating------This is very important
not over weight-----just as long as there not real over wight most of us have some extra wight
quick thinking/intelligent----This will help but i think common sense is real important
shows up to work everyday-----Man this is a must But how will you know till you hire them
Does age make a difference----I dont think so
Good Luck Charles Cue

rscvp, thanks :usflag:
Larry what will they be operating a ZZZZ LOL have fun

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
we are very picky about who we let operate our ride ons. they of course are our general laborers, they mow with us and everthing else too.

but the most expereinced are the ones we train to spray. i could not imagine just up and hiring someone without expererience and or tons of training b4 they ever took up applying without me there. i feel for all you guiys that have to hire that way, it must suck and i dont even begin to know where to start.

well, actually i do, as the same quailties go in every job really, but only the best, non retards would be allowed for sure. no bagage too