1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Hiring an employee....big step forward...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by sgl41377, Nov 10, 2006.

  1. sgl41377

    sgl41377 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 191

    I have been a fairly small company for the past three years and am looking to expand this year. Next year I hope to hire my first full-time or part time employee. I plan on using quickbooks to do my checks for my employee, but need to know some information. Where do I buy workers comp insurance? Where do I find a good employee that has the experience I need? What isa competative pay for an employee per hour or for a week? I want to plan now and hire someone in March or April. Currently I do 80 percent of the work as a second job and have some high school kids help me the other 20 percent. I want to do things right. Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks.

    HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,981

    Call your business insurance agent they can give you the info on workman's comp.

    Good luck finding someone...good help is out there just have to sift thru the dirt to find it :laugh:

    Don't know what your area is like...I was paying my guy $9 an hour. Basically just to mow. No driving or responsibility really. If you plan on them driving or working on their own, take that into account.
  3. Josh.S

    Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,085

    I pay my guy $8 an hour, but I doubt that is considered competitive. His only responsibility is to do what I tell him and not get in my way... lol.. I would say you should probably pay more like $12 an hour, especially if you wan't them to drive and everything.

Share This Page