1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hiring an employee???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Jan 6, 2005.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

running a 52" rider 36" wb... looking to do 1 employee this season targeting $30 - 35$ 3/4 to an acre lawns (lawns are not gated).... does this sound profitable.. is this the norm? should i get a 3rd mower and a 2nd employee for a 3 man crew??? what should i pay the employee/s??

dayton ohio

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you saying that you currently have a business in operation, or you are looking to start one?

3. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

ran small business for 2 yrs (just 21" mowers) saw potential.. kept growing.. already have several lined up new and previous lawns.. goin to pass out over 5000 flyers come march and a few other marketing ideas ive got. more afraid of getting too much that i can shuffle... is 35$ a good price on an acre lawn (low amount of trees, if any, no gates, or bigger gates) targeting $300 + homes.

4. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

i would just start with 1 employee.. and you probably dont need another mower, i have about 60 property's, some pretty good size places, i only have 1 employee, i started him at 7 and after 2 months gave him 50 cents and after 6 months bumped up another 50 cents. best of luck