Hiring an Estimate Coordinator/ Project Manager?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by WarriorLandscaping, May 16, 2019.

1. WarriorLandscaping

WarriorLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    Male

Hey guys,

With 4 employee's and work 7 days a week I am struggling to find time for my estimates and bids. This Spring has been a nightmare to say the least..

I try to book estimates that are in my route for the day and then work on them after work but it's too much. Getting home at 6 or 7 pm.

Getting tired of working all day and doing estimates at night,

Has anyone hired a project manager who does estimates and bids only?

Are there any other options? Also thinking its time to give up 'Free Estimates'.

2. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

I have a sales rep, his job is to basically go and find work and quote it, I review it before it is sent. he has a nicer smile then I. free quotes are a good thing however unless the quote requires drawings, or planning, or shooting grade ect.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    WarriorLandscaping

Male

Cool, and do you pay him upon project landing, salary, per hour? etc

4. Mudly

Salary and benefits

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

You’re too small for someone else to do your estimating
    But you’re too big to be doing your own work in the field
    You need to hire two more workers and cut operations back to 5 days a week while you estimate and run the business 6 days a week

Mark Oomkes, Tara Ann, Cam15 and 4 others like this.
  6. Mudly

Good point tp. Be aware that your employees need to be well trained for this to happen.

Tara Ann likes this.
  7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

He’s already got 4
    Hard to believe he’s running a 5 man crew including himself

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  8. Mudly

I
    I make no assumptions in this matter

9. OP
    OP
    WarriorLandscaping

Male

Its been tough man, I overbooked my Spring due to the bad weather. It has been suicide to say the least. I feel like a grumpy old man on the job site, I just run through my head "4 employees this is costing me almost $80 an hour just for these guys to be here"

I'm scaling back a bit after this month, cutting back some hours on one of my guys, I did payroll for 4 of them at nearly 80 hours for 2 weeks and it was shocking. I can't see my self adding 2 more employee's I would die.

Kind of miss being the smaller company with 2 helpers.. I am in a strange "growing pain" year..

I do wish I had a business partner / Family member to help as it is overwhelming to do everything myself, it definitely isn't sustainable.

I've shut down my website leads, and let people know we are currently not taking on new leads.

1. 5 days a week sounds good, Saturday for an estimate day.
    2. 3 employee's full time, 1 part-time
    3. Halt current expansion and focus on quality, lawn signs to gain more local leads in the neighborhoods I operate in.
    4. Waiting on my second truck, will be able to split team members on different sites.

Last year I ran the same equipment and did 102k in sales.
    This year is a growing year with new employees, equipment, truck, etc I can see my profit being far lower.

Miss the days of cutting grass for $20 cash! 3 houses in a row, lol then home! lol

10. Mudly

Woah bro, take a step back. Only 102k in sales with 2 guys and yourself? Do you realize youre spending money to work? Triple your prices and you wont be so busy with livable margins. A employee is supposed to profit the company not leech its reserves. You are working for pennies a hr at your rate. Youre allowed to make money promise

Tara Ann, Cam15 and hort101 like this.