Hiring an Estimate Coordinator/ Project Manager?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by WarriorLandscaping, May 16, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    WarriorLandscaping

WarriorLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    Male

2. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

Shoot higher, much higher. Go for the clients that throw out the underbidders

hort101, Cam15 and WarriorLandscaping like this.
  3. SFL

SFL LawnSite Member

You are WAY under priced. We made 120k last year with only 2 guys. Thats mowing, some spraying and spring/fall cleanups. In 8 months.

I’ve raised my rates this year and I’m now charging $65 per man hour. I’ve doubled in customers since April.

Who cares if people are turning you down. You don’t want those as customers anyway. You want people that will appreciate the value you bring to them. Taking on customers just because you don’t want them to turn you down is the best way to get burned out and go out of business quick.

Also, you definitely need a separate crew to handle all the clean ups/gardening. Mow crew should only be mowing.

Tara Ann and WarriorLandscaping like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    WarriorLandscaping

Male

Thanks for the response SFL, I am immediately changing our price structure.

What year are you in? How many accounts roughly?

Have you guys ever raised prices mid-contract?

Or is that just bad business and I need to take a loss for the season on certain clients?

5. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Bronze Member

6. SFL

SFL LawnSite Member

Last year when I made 120k in maintenance(no snow) I was mainly commercial. Like 90%.

This year I’ve lost 75% of that commercial revenue to underbidders so I’ve been working hard on the residential side.

I started this season with 20 residentials and now I’m up to 45 and still getting calls daily. I wouldn’t be surprised to be at 60 by summer. Just me and 1 employee. As soon as we hit 60, I’m hiring another guy and as soon as he’s trained well I will get off the mow crew and focus on spraying and growing the business.

With 60 clients I will be bringing in over 3k weekly in just mowing. We still have fall clean ups, fertilization and other services we do as well that will help in getting closer to 5k a week.

$65/man hour is my rate. Yea, some have scoffed at my pricing but I don’t care. I advertise my company as a high end company and that’s exactly the kind of work we do. I have a specific customer in mind and that’s who I target. If you don’t make at least 200k a year, aren’t older than 45 and have a small family you’re not fit to be my customer. Theres always exceptions but that’s the gist of it.

7. SFL

SFL LawnSite Member

This is my 4th year.

WarriorLandscaping likes this.
  8. GreenscapeCT

GreenscapeCT LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good plan !

Why don’t you cut small families? Too many toys in the yard?

WarriorLandscaping and Tara Ann like this.
  9. Nick crisp

Nick crisp LawnSite Member

How many years have you been in business? Out of that 120k what did u bring home??? Seriously thinking about quitiquq my job of 7 years. This is my 2nd year part time

10. OP
    OP
    WarriorLandscaping

Male

Thank you for the clarification.