• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Hiring Fla. Spray Tech???

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
I am a senior citizen now and while I have enjoyed the last few years of no employee hassles as a one man band. But I must look to the future and hire Techs for that time when I can no longer pull hose or tote 50 lb fert bags.

So My question is, What is the best employee program I can offer and still make a fair profit?? I want good employee and I am willing to offer Training and support. But I want people who produce because they are making good money also.

Greg Amann

LawnSite Member
I picked up a couple of early 20 somethings 3 years ago. We offered them what they were making at the time dollarwise with several fringe benefits.
They saved tolls and gas ($300.00+ monthly) since they now work locally instead of driving into Orlando. We pay 100% their health insurance. Their pay covers up to xxxx.00 of production after that we pay them 10% over the set amounts. They also make commision on termite jobs that they do.
It has worked well for all of us. They have been with us longer than any other job they have had and we get well trained, hard working happy techs.
They get their schedule on Monday morning and on Friday as long as all the work, and any followups are completed and the trucks are cleaned they are free to take off for the weekend. Many weeks they are wrapped up by 1:00 p.m..
Granted we are small so this works for us. This would be difficult if not impossible to work, in a large organization.
With your knowledge if you could come across a hard working young fellow who is willing to go to the school of hard knocks vs. college, you should be able to set your self up nicely.
When the guys started we had 30-45 minute training meeting every Monday morning. We are now at monthly training meetings. We discuss the past week every Monday morning of what if anything interesting came up the week prior, IE where were the resistant chinch bugs popping last week. Great communication is the key as well. This keeps everyone on the same page.
My 2 cents.....Hope all is well in Southwest Florida.
I hope all the snook didn't die around Sanibel Island from the cold blast last month. I will be heading down the 3rd week of July to catch a few again.
Greg

OP
Ric

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
Greg

My position is a little different in the fact I am looking for a Missionary Salesman-Tech to build a route. Fact is I have kept my account list small or part time on propose. Now I realize my mistake and must build the accounts I have turned down in the past.

Therefore I have to offer more than Bennies and a commission to the right person. I have to offer a future of some kind. The only way I can expect someone to stay with me is if they are making great money.