Hiring my first employees, need help.

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Adam J White, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Adam J White

Adam J White LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I started my business last summer and quickly started to add clients. I have started this summer with around 45 clients I service on a regular basis. Well just recently that number has jumped to around 55 residential and I just added 8 commercial clients that I service every week. I can no longer keep up with all the work myself and must hire 1-2 guys to help me.
    I am looking for some advice as to how to go about hiring them. I am located in Florida. I have been doing some research today since it is raining all day and not sure if I should hire them as employees or independent contractors? I have heard also that some small business don't directly take out taxes from their employees checks and instead offer a 1099ez form for them to handle there own taxes at the end of the year. Any information as to the proper way to hire on 1-2 guys would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I just want to stay how thankful I am for this site! It was pretty daunting to go from being a bartender for the last 10 years to trying to figure out how to go about starting a lawn care business. I browsed through the forums and it helped me so much! 1 year later and business is booming and the only regret I have is not starting this business years ago.

2. Gus McGee

Gus McGee LawnSite Member

That Guy Gary and FromUndaChz like this.
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Forget anything about 1099
    It’s illegal
    Just forget you ever heard about it

A 1099 is if you hire me to do work for you
    Not if you hire employees

4. Tara Ann

Tara Ann LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hi, @Adam J White!

I would start looking at how you want to advertise your open positions, and how much money you can dedicate to recruiting, training, and retaining employees.

Questions to answer:
    • How much can you pay 1 or 2 people?
    • What job responsibilities will these employees be expected to perform?
    • What days of the week are you wanting these people to work?
    • How are you planning to interview candidates?
    • What will your on-boarding process look like?
    • What will your training process look like, and how long will it take for someone to be trained?
    It helps to look at other job advertisements on sites such as: Indeed, Facebook, ZipRecruiter, etc. Conduct some market research; read the verbiage in job ads; see what other people in your industry are paying and saying. Hopefully some of this information will help you a bit!

NinjaSteve and MasterCuts like this.