Hiring new workers?

Lawnman3456

LawnSite Member
Hi everyone, just curious on how you guys go about hiring new employees? A lot of my college guys are headed back to school for the year, and I’d like to pick up 1-2 guys to help finish out the mowing season and help through fall with leaf cleanups and what not. I know I can put up an ad on Craigslist, but I’m a bit skeptical on what I will get off of there. I can also put up flyers around town, but I would like to see if you guys know of any other options that I can go about doing. Let me know your thoughts, thanks!!

andersman02

LawnSite Senior Member
Indeed, but your kinda picking from the bottom of the barrel only trying to find help for a couple months.. it's hard enough to find good seasonal help that comes back each year, my advice is to find people that work there entire year, not college kids

jetson

LawnSite Member
Indeed, but your kinda picking from the bottom of the barrel only trying to find help for a couple months.. it's hard enough to find good seasonal help that comes back each year, my advice is to find people that work there entire year, not college kids
I agree. College kids are the worst! Nah.. they aren’t bad but they have more important things to do! Girls. Parties. We’ve all been that age. I applause you for finding anyone to work at all. Seems like the most impossible task on the planet. But excellent point on hiring other than college kids. You’re gonna pay more but will lose the stress..

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Are you so sure college students are going back to school?
I don’t think they are.
Might need to check that barometer.

as far as finding new employees
There’s no real secret
If there was , the guy who had it wouldn’t share!

$600 government free money had ended
There should be a bunch of people desperate to pay bills now.
Working out doors and in wide open space with very little contact with a limited number of people should be, with the state of things right now, a very appealing way to get income while staying safe.

if you write your ads that way you might catch some fish
Most people don’t know our line of work or understand it, so they don’t know what you assume they know.
Tell them in the ad
They’re probably looking for that opportunity without knowing it’s your job offer!

I frequently ask people at interviews
What do you think your typical day at work will be like?
They honestly can’t answer it
Unless they have previous experience.
I usually follow with the question, so then tell me why you are here? Why apply to THIS job?
Most of them can’t answer that either.

the reason is they’re just applying to openings.

so if you TELL people about your job opening (not saying negative things about who you don’t want to waste your time interviewing)
Then you will meet people who chose to apply to your job because they liked the sound of it.

yes you’ll still have to wade through a steady stream of idiots, that’s just the interview process... but you may never actually attract any good ones , if your advertisement doesn’t say anything appealing about the opportunity.

don’t just say “need help, mow lawns, $15/hr”
The people who apply will put as much effort in your job as you put in recruiting.

don’t say negative things like
“No druggies, no drunks, no people who don’t show up on time, if you don’t have a clue don’t bother”

decent applicants aren’t likely to think “oh boy that’s the job for me!”
Drunks and druggies are convinced they can lie and hide it from you.
So you only end up attracting exactly what you said you didn’t want.
Advertisements aren’t the place to rant.

also
You might think of paying a lot more for the position
Like 18 or 20
Then charge the client a “covid” fee to make up the difference
Send a letter letting everyone know that the pandemic had made your costs raise significantly
With being compliant with government ordinances , sanitizing and finding employees that are willing to work abd follow through with the rules and procedures
explain that you are paying the employees more than normal during these difficult times yada yada yada

most customers will appreciate the extra effort and understand the issue

also add in your letter to customers that you’re hiring and if they know anyone looking for work you’d love to talk to them.

the bills could look like “$60 mow trim blow” and “$3 covid hardship”
So the total bill is $63
Allowing you to pay employees an extra $2 an hour during the pandemic

This is just an idea
But something I’ve been considering as a solution myself