Hiring Part-time Crew manager. What should his Pay Be?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by _Cameron_, Sep 10, 2018.

1. _Cameron_

_Cameron_ LawnSite Member

My Question is at bottom.

I am in need of a little help managing my lawn accounts and gaining new ones for next year and my current foremen is going to only be able to work part time next year due to continuing education. Right now 3 guys go out 5 days a week for mowing and i do a day or two with one helper.Plus I lead our install crew 3 days a week with 2-3 guys.

I already have a guy in mind to offer the promotion to install crew leader too and Ill be the manager for them and will be doing Apps and Irrigation when im not checking there work or giving estimates.

My current foreman would just be in charge of our residential mowing clients/scheduling mowing crews plus selling our add ons. Any install work would go to me so i can estimate it. He essentially will work from home unless he needs to go out to a lawn to bid it and then mow if we get behind.
    PROS: he knows how to bid lawns, he knows my clients and their preferences, he bilingual, very good with computers/typing, has a couple years experience mowing, trustworthy, smart, answers phone promptly and returns messages fast, also very polite and hardworking. In all honesty, I believe he'll be better at the job then I am.
    Cons:I don't foresee any for this type of work but i did have problems with mowing being a little too tasking on him and missing to many days. which put me in a major bind. only problem this year though.

He's very valuable to our growth has a company next year and would help us make an easier transition from 3 FT guys to 5-6 FT guys for mowing and it would allow me to manage our more profitable work and commercial jobs. if he doesn't stay i will have to train a new foreman to mow up to mine and my clients expectations and still manage my other crews plus all other business during the busy season. In short i would only have 1 FT 3 man mowing crew and 1 split commercial mowing/ install crew, if he doesn't stay. if he does stay Ill be at 2 FT mowing and 1 Install crew plus me doing apps and irrigation and a sub i work with for irrigation and installs. So this setup is more ideal because the mowing never gets in the way of the installs and vice versa. Our installs earn us about double what mowing does so i would really like to get myself a way from the day to day operations for mowing to concentrate on raising our profits.

With all this in mind what would be reasonable pay for him?

My thought was hourly at $14 for when he mows and flat rate commission 1/month on all accounts he gained us plus bonus for any add ons he sells. EX. of month end check: Gained 75 accounts YTD (June) with no one canceling receives $5/month for each account(all weekly thru Sept.) = $375 and earned a bonus of 5% of gross because he had 50 upsells this month for fert. at $60 each =$150 plus he mowed 1 day for 8 hours = $112 Total=$637 for part time and an average biweekly check would be $200-350.

His target would be 100 new accounts but we would be fine with just 75. I use yardbook so his upsells would be extremely easy just sending out a text to our client database of roughly 500 about our Apps or any specials coming up will land close to 10%.

2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I’d say you need to pay more than that unless you want to not get all the work he’s selling

Mark Stark and Mow-Daddy.com like this.
  3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Silver Member

$35-45K per year plus company take home vehicle, computer & cell phone at minimum. He's basically doing everything you do now so you would need to pay him close to what you make.

I know of several companies that their top sales guys make more then the owner. Top performing sales people are one of the most important parts of the company.

zraffz and Puttinggreens like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    _Cameron_

Okay. 35-45k is too much for part time. He would be 8-12 hours a week mowing plus another 5-10 hours per week home based work. I’m trying to come up with a good promotion for him that will be flexible with his school schedule. I could offer a bonus for hitting bench marks Or if he sells x dollars in a month he can get a bonus.

5. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Make him FT in a few months or when confident,

6. OP
    OP
    _Cameron_

He’s full time now and wants only part time

7. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

That does make It more difficult..

What are you paying him now and what is his role currently?

8. OP
    OP
    _Cameron_

He’s the driver for a 3 man crew that does Only mowing. Pay will be $14/ hour next year part time. I would buy him a macbook for work, a car isn’t necessary. If we’re to full on work, we sub out all other work and so he would just call the sub to go and give an estimate for small jobs.

9. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Ok what does he do now? And the pay currently.

Location really helps

My area I can work as a foreman for 18-25 or so an hour

But if I go north 2.5 hours to somewhere in PA the pay is less

10. OP
    OP
    _Cameron_

Now he is the driver of a 3 man crew that only mows. We’re in North Texas. Currently he gets around )
    $500/ week

JLSLLC likes this.