1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Hiring Part-time Crew manager. What should his Pay Be?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by _Cameron_, Sep 10, 2018.

1. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

At $14 what would he make weekly? Including sales

You’ve got to make it worth it to him. Especially if he’s selling for you, and playing the role you want

2. OP
    OP
    _Cameron_

_Cameron_ LawnSite Member

Like $600/week full time and about $120-200 pt

3. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

You have to up slightly. Less work more money is what I hear.

Also If you have a moment utilize the search function here or type your question into google and add lawnsite.com

Some get mad at me for saying google but I find a lot fast doing what I said above

4. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

Listen man.

If the guy knows how to do the work and can sell it, why not sell it for himself?

5% gross from upsales is insanely low if all his pay is commission.

JLSLLC likes this.
  5. MNLawns

MNLawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from MN

you are looking to get an insanely cheap op's manager, residential accounts rep, and sales guy... you don't need an op's manager until your around 5 crews, and then the ops manager works FT. How many clients are being maintained on a weekly basis?

6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I had trouble following your stream of consciousness but it sounds like the guy you’re thinking of promoting is not a “main mow man”
    Because he doesn’t have the endurance/drive but would make a way good executive.

Instead of promoting him part time why not promote him full time?

He can part time mow when you need him.
    But if he’s ONLY mowing 20% or less of a pay period then you can legally pay him salary.
    Pretty much he mows a couple days every two weeks? You’re good to go.

Salary of 36,000 plus a sales bonus if he sells more than you target for him,
    Give him the opportunity to upsell customers, find enhancements, call customers back when you’re in the middle of an install.
    36k is a small price to grow your company AND this gives you a back up mow guy,
    Not to mention you can call him for those things you need while you’re on the job,
    Hey man , my level is wonky, need a new one can you snag one at Home Depot and bring it by?

Also, I’d teach him to do the apps, kinda goes hand in hand with maintenance

hort101 and MNLawns like this.
  7. TPendagast

Male

He can’t sell it for himself because he can’t die up to mow for five days a week... it’s not his “thing”
    Plus no equipment/credit

8. MNLawns

MNLawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from MN

This...

9. OP
    OP
    _Cameron_

_Cameron_ LawnSite Member

Sounds good. Hell be making somewhere around 20/hour managing the schedules and adding new accounts if he’s good at it. If he’s great and can manage 200 accounts a week then he’ll get a big bonus and be making closer to $25/hour. Honestly just trying it out and if he manages less it’s fine. If he’s terrible at selling new accounts then I would fill his schedule for him and he would only get money for managing the lawns which I know he’ll be good at taking care of the lawns. Sells will be harder for him. We could keep just 1 crew for him to manage next year of 120 accounts and I could do 2 days of commercials. But that limits us for installs to 4 days.

I would love to promote him full time, but as y’all arent reading. He will be going to school and that is his priority. I’m happy with him managing just what I have now which takes all of 5 hours per week without trying to grow But he would basically be earning like $75/week plus mowing 1 day and receiving any upsells which are just sent out thru a text to everyone. If he goes out to a property he’ll either recieve larger commission or a fee for it. Hes not going to clients homes and doing an estimate on a regular basis, just looking up the address from his computer at home and giving a price per cut. I basically get a large Volume of people going thru our website, calls and texts and it’s to disrupting during my day. I may get 2-3 calls a day that has to do with installs and I’d like to pickup only those calls not worry about the others.

I don’t need a guy to go pickup a level at Home Depot for me on his day off, the crew I would manage could just call me for that stuff. Mowing crews hardly need maintenance, I can check in when they’re in the field a few times a week if needed and he can too. Same with my other crew. I’ve talked to him about doing apps and I just don’t see his desire to go outside and work no matter how much he can make. But if he can make the same money or more not leaving his house, he loves that.

In a sense I’m just redirecting traffic away from me and opening the road so I can go 100mph and have a pretty profitable year doing about 20 hours a week solo apps and more effectively managing a crew that already hits $1000 a day labor and materials sells are usually higher per day. Mowing is not all that profitable and our business model is geared toward just having a basic number of accounts where we can receive enough referrals to do more profitable work like installs and apps. i don’t want him to be some crazy sellman that goes out and tries to gain 200 accounts in one year. He’ll primarily be a manager and respond to inquiries for mowing.

Get sellsman out of your heads please. I say upsells because he clicks a bottom and mass sends a text that will land us lots of little upsells at once. I could do it but I would prefer him to because he’ll know the lawns better.

10. TPendagast

Male

And as you’re not reading , it’s entirely impossible to follow your stream of consciousness
    You made it sound as if your foreman is going back to school and you found someone else to promote.

You’ve got diaherra of the key board, typing whatever is on your mind at the moment, it’s very hard to figure out what you are for dinner that’s making you sick, by only looking at the contents you’re producing.