1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Hiring Part-time Crew manager. What should his Pay Be?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by _Cameron_, Sep 10, 2018.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

No one needs to pick up a level on their day off... it’s on a day the person is working like everyone else.

If your foreman was sick lame and lazy to begin
    With and wasn’t showing up for 5 days of mowing work, don’t worry about promoting him, concern yourself with replacing him entirely.

2. OP
    OP
    _Cameron_

_Cameron_ LawnSite Member

Okay first post is a long read and I didn’t proof read it so I’ll give you that. Just read this and start over From here.

Current guy drives with 3 man crew and I have a format to follow to add new mowing,apps and small upsells without having to go to property. His promotion would make him manage all current mowing accounts minus commercial and all new ones he could handle with his school schedule. I assume his max would be 2 crews 200 properties but don’t believe he’ll be hitting that number due to lack of motivation(fine by me, not growing mowing for income just to send in install work and apps) most likely he’ll be managing 125-150 properties a week and (2) 2 men crews with some part time help. All will be weekly except some of our current clients so scheduling is minimal since it’s just minor adjustments due to weather, sickness and things like that. I know he will need to mow 1 day per week to work with new employees and spend some time out at properties but again he’s rarely dealing with customers face to face, almost all of it will be done from home. He could almost be contract labor and may end up that way if he likes it and wants to continue only managing. It seems fair to pay $2/cut for each property the crews maintain that he manages and a commission for each new account plus end of year bonus. If he would like to earn 500/week managing 250 accounts plus commission and bonus he could but school is his priority. Would $2/cut be fair for a manager to maintain 125 properties not going on site just home based? Along with commission and bonus.

3. MNLawns

MNLawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from MN

If he is bidding property's for weekly mowing he is a salesman, because he needs to persuade the prospective clients that your companies price and high standard of quality makes you a better value than the other 2-3 companies they called.

4. OP
    OP
    _Cameron_

_Cameron_ LawnSite Member

In my experience there has been virtually no selling aspect. 2 examples from this week.
    Both clients are word of mouth refereal. One he called and explained his yard to me. I looked up property and shot him an estimated amount and will let him know after we have mowed one time. We mowed today and it was $35 he accepted. Took 2 guys 20 minutes. This client would be his typical estimate.

2nd Estimate. She called earlier in the season and decided to keep current company and now she has called back and said she should have quit them a few months ago.( *STOP* when you hear bad mouthing from clients that’s a bad sign and I try to price those higher) well I couldn’t give a price over the phone or by email because she wanted me to come out due to the last guys doing a lot of stuff she didn’t like and after explaining it to me. I know we’ll probably be doing one thing the same and that’s riding a zero turn over a pathway. I told her that and she still wants us to come out and she mentioned they killed several trees from weedeating. All I did was listen and I had a appropriate response about how we do lawn maintenance. I did not once try to sell her on anything. I go out there tomorrow afternoon and will tell her our price for the service we provide.im 100% certain we will ge the lawn. I will bring some fertilizer with me and sell an application because I don’t like going to houses just for an estimated

In most cases I would turn this client down because Red flags are going up saying “High Maintenance” but this is a friends mom, and I like my friends and I take these lawns if they agree to my price. If my current driver wanted to go out and do sells that require him being on site and interacting with the customer I’ll pay a commission.

Since he’s just a manager and responding to website submissions or sending lawn estimates, I’ll probably pay him piecemeal for each lawn he maintains per month. If both crews mow a total of 35 lawns in a day then he earns $2/lawn or $70 that day. Plus his hourly for when he does mow and a few different bonuses for reaching goals. I’ll cut him in on all the work he sends me too, as in if a client wants work outside mowing and goes thru him first he would get a part of my commission. To me this seems fair and if he was full time his earnings would be around $800 per week or more for home based work. Plus bonuses which will total over 5k per year.

MNLawns likes this.
  5. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive got an idea...fire him because he’s a lazy millennial and find someone who can work full time and grow with your company. And who won’t leave after school is over for another job he went to school for. Leaving you to do this all over again!

Oops...hope i didn’t step on anyone’s proverbial toes:hammerhead:

Tara Ann likes this.