Hiring Part-Time

CJIII1983

LawnSite Senior Member
One-Man Lawn I think you need to grow another year before you hire you will need some bigger equipment to afford to paid your help. I am starting a part time lawn care business this year, I make the same as you $25K but I have health insurance, 25 year pension plan.

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
And not that it is a bad thing, but you will probably need to change the name of your company if you hire her. One man and a woman lawn care.

JawT

LawnSite Member
To add to my previous post, a 2 man crew on smaller yards will usually end up with 1 person waiting for the other person to finish unless you have 2 fullsize mowers.
This is why from my perspective so far, one guy is more efficient than 2. A team of 2-3 would need to mow 2-3 more yards in the same amount of time, and that is just not going to happen... unless you have a 30" or 48" wb mower for the extra guy to grab once the edging / trimming is done.
Even then, routes need to be tight or rates need to be high. Because whenever they're driving from place to place, you're paying 3 people to sit in a car.

JawT

LawnSite Member
One-Man Lawn I think you need to grow another year before you hire you will need some bigger equipment to afford to paid your help. I am starting a part time lawn care business this year, I make the same as you $25K but I have health insurance, 25 year pension plan.
The question is, do you want to stack up cash as fast as possible? Or do you want to build a business? From my perspective as soon as you have 30 hours of work per week, I'd say hire someone. You give up 30% of the revenue but after they're trained, you are then 100% free to sell more work.

If you're running solo, and doing good work, you might soon get into the trap where you're making great money but you need to work 7-10 hours a day to keep making it. Them you'll start get requests for new work but will have no time to do it. That is stressful. And if you suffer an injury or need to take care of a family emergency it's a very hard situation.

Top Forums