Lawn Care Forum banner

his, is twice as big, as mine

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  topsites 
#1 ·
o boy, they never cease to amaze me...i been doin lots of estimates. meeting all kinds. how is this for logic- i quoted one lawn on the street, @ $40 per week. i quoted another, @$30 per week. the $30 per week customer calls up b!tching, that his lawn is only half the size of his neighbor down the street, and he knows i charged his neighbor $40. THEREFOR, his lawn, being half the size, should be $20, not $30. make sense?

#4 ·
CuttinUP said:
He needs to pay the 30 or tell him to find some one else. Customers do not set the price! You do!:gunsfirin :gunsfirin
Some people just want to feel like they got a deal I usually wont budge on price but I'll through in one free edging which I would probably do anyway. I like to cut the drive and walks out the first time I cut just seems to make weekly stops faster.

#5 ·
Do you guys eyeball the property and give the quote or do you tally the sq ft and do the .005 method...
I am sure it is going vary based on the experience of the person and Comp within that area and all that, but what is the best way if I was a new guy, like whats the method that I should go with cause there are some many posts on the site its hard read em all and remember what i read, but I think I read that the .005 method is ol school way? Bare with me, I am new round here sorry pokin' my nose in, just lookin for any help I can get....

#6 ·
bobbygedd said:
o boy, they never cease to amaze me...i been doin lots of estimates. meeting all kinds. how is this for logic- i quoted one lawn on the street, @ $40 per week. i quoted another, @$30 per week. the $30 per week customer calls up b!tching, that his lawn is only half the size of his neighbor down the street, and he knows i charged his neighbor $40. THEREFOR, his lawn, being half the size, should be $20, not $30. make sense?
Ah, but does the $30 dollar lawn have more trim work?

#7 ·
You did explain that $30 is your minimum. Tell him that if him & his neighbor called a plumber and the plumber spent 1/2 hour at his neighbors house and 15 minutes at his house that they would both be charged the minimum rate (probably around $90) even though his neighbor got twice as much work done.

If he's still not happy tell him to get a bigger lawn :hammerhead:

#11 ·
This was not exactly what I thought this thread was going to be about when I saw your name Bobby:laugh:

#13 ·
Envy Lawn Service said:
Dump the one for disclosing
Dump the other for being a cry baby

LOL!
ahhh crap if they both want a discount and their lawns are either right next to each other OR right across the street from each other (no, not 1/2 block down doesn't count), you can do them both for 5 dollars off so long you can always do them both at the same time (you need to determine this based on turf condition, the yards need to be in similar shape) and if they say ok then everybody's happy.

This does NOT work if one yard is class-A with an active sprinkler system while the other is whatever grass (and don't tell them this or the one guy ends up turning off his sprinklers lol).

#14 ·
I was kidding... but it would tick me off that one disclosed the price and the other was crying even though they were paying less.

Would I go down in price? NO.

Want to know what I would really honestly truthfully say in this situation?
"Well just to be frank with you sir, the truth is, I really should be charging your neighbor with twice as much for his lawn. At least a good $60-70 a cut. But I tried to be nice and cut the guy some slack since I have you on this street too and his lawn keeps me in one place longer. Here I have tried to do something nice for someone, and had it backfire on me the other way."

Now that's what I would say... and I have said it. Learned that one by accident (because it really was true) and I picked up real quick on the fact of how much more effective that is than any other explaination is. So I am either saying it because it is true, or I am saying it to be a smart@ss to a couple of smart@sses.

It's effective on both parties. Any other way and you are either going down on price, or loosing the one customer because you won't, and his buddy up the street.

#20 ·
Remsen1 said:
My answer: Yessir your right, his lawn is $40 and yours is $30. And a 2-litre of soday costs $.88 and a 3-litre costs $1.09.
No doubt and a stupid 20-ounce at the gas station is a buck-fifty lol!

Here again thou... Assume I get a 1/4 acre and a 1/2 acre lot like that: The 1/4 acre is 35 and the 1/2 acre is 45... Well gee that's not fair but then it's really not fair when an acre lot is 60 dollars but 10 acres is only around 300 !!!!

And yes, I agree with the other fellow who said the truth works best.

So I would just tell him the price / square footage goes down as the lot size increases, the total is still more but the larger the lot, the less dollars / area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.