1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

hmm?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by surfsk869, Jun 1, 2007.

1. surfsk869

surfsk869 LawnSite Member
    from mass

i have recently started a small landscaping business and have been asked to perform a task that i am not capable of performing efficiently.that task is mowing a massive field that has grass/weeds about 3 feet tall. Thus, i figured i could give the job to a friend of mine who has a business that would be able to do the job. what is the usual procedure as far as payment goes? do i get a percentage of the job paid to me by the company i gave the job to?

thanks a lot

2. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Sub it out to your friend. Ask him to give you a quote for the project, take his price and tack on 15-30%, submit your price to the client. Pretty simple.

If liability insurance is required, make sure your sub has it.

3. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Bullethead is right , but if you add too much , the price may not be competitive and your client may get someone else to do it - I have a few trusted associates who don't compete with me directly and we pass work back and forth for mutual gain and benefit - many times we don't upcharge but in the long term we all benefit.