HOA Issue

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
I cut the common areas of this subdivision. Some of you have heard me comment on how steep and tough the ditches are (for me anyway)

I failed yesterday..... miserably lol.

Yesterday I'm cutting in the ditch, and a woman comes out and starts screaming at me. I have no idea what she's screaming, but I can't stop where I'm at. So I go as far as I need to in order to shut down, and hop off and say, "Hi. What can I do for you?" First, she starts in on me for not stopping immediately when she asked me to (and she strung on the word immmeeeeeediately .... so now I know exactly how this is gonna go lol). When I started to explain that I couldn't stop right then and there, she cut me off and said, "I don't care! I asked you to stop! You should STOP!!!" So I just said, "what can I do for you?" again. She proceeds to complain that I don't pick up the garbage "in the trees." I said I didn't even know there was garbage "in the trees." (about now I think she's koo-koo for cocoa puffs). Then she said, "Well there is!" and points.... "My son left his McDonald's bag under that tree after his lunch last week (It's a Willow tree with sort of a canopy - pretty cool fort for a kid actually lol!) and since you didn't pick that one up, I said something to the hoa president, and I put another bag under THAT tree over there yesterday, to see if you'd get THAT one - and obviously you didn't !!!" I asked her why she didn't make her son pick up after himself and she said "we both wanted to see if you'd get it." I go, "That's terrible parenting. Lady, I mow the grass. I don't pick up after you and your son." "EXCUUUUUSE me?! Did you just call me 'LADY? Show some respect!!" (this is where I sort of lost it) I go, "NOPE!! I have ZERO respect for a woman who would deliberately throw trash - LITTER! - in an area just to see if the lowly lawn mower guy would pick it up. So... you and your son need to pick up the trash under both trees, today, right now, or I'm calling the police on YOU for littering. If you ever come out here and rag on me while I'm mowing again, I'll take that as a threat and I'm calling the police!! Clear? Good. You have a lucky day. Garbage. TODAY. I'm gonna check, too. Don't forget. Today. Thanks!"

For the rest of my time in that area, she stood in the garage talking on the phone. Garbage was picked up.... :)

Not gonna lie, I was fired up! I think it was the "EXCUUUUUSE ME?" that tripped my trigger. Can't tell you how much I hate that. Although that "stop immediately" part might have pulled the hammer back lol.

I emailed the guy who hired me and asked him to remind residents not to approach the "lawn guys" while they're working.

Last edited:

jonniesmooth

LawnSite Senior Member
I hate people like that. The whole " don't you know we who I am"?
Yep, I know who you are, and I don't care.

But to be honest when I managed a restaurant kitchen I would put a random plastic container in a back corner or under a deep fryer ( also in a corner) to check that my graveyard guys were doing the floors well.

Last edited:

Integrity-LC

LawnSite Member
Well done. lol

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
I cut the common areas of this subdivision. Some of you have heard me comment on how steep and tough the ditches are (for me anyway)

I failed yesterday..... miserably lol.

Yesterday I'm cutting in the ditch, and a woman comes out and starts screaming at me. I have no idea what she's screaming, but I can't stop where I'm at. So I go as far as I need to in order to shut down, and hop off and say, "Hi. What can I do for you?" First, she starts in on me for not stopping immediately when she asked me to (and she strung on the word immmeeeeeediately .... so now I know exactly how this is gonna go lol). When I started to explain that I couldn't stop right then and there, she cut me off and said, "I don't care! I asked you to stop! You should STOP!!!" So I just said, "what can I do for you?" again. She proceeds to complain that I don't pick up the garbage "in the trees." I said I didn't even know there was garbage "in the trees." (about now I think she's koo-koo for cocoa puffs). Then she said, "Well there is!" and points.... "My son left his McDonald's bag under that tree after his lunch last week (It's a Willow tree with sort of a canopy - pretty cool fort for a kid actually lol!) and since you didn't pick that one up, I said something to the hoa president, and I put another bag under THAT tree over there yesterday, to see if you'd get THAT one - and obviously you didn't !!!" I asked her why she didn't make her son pick up after himself and she said "we both wanted to see if you'd get it." I go, "That's terrible parenting. Lady, I mow the grass. I don't pick up after you and your son." "EXCUUUUUSE me?! Did you just call me 'LADY? Show some respect!!" (this is where I sort of lost it) I go, "NOPE!! I have ZERO respect for a woman who would deliberately throw trash - LITTER! - in an area just to see if the lowly lawn mower guy would pick it up. So... you and your son need to pick up the trash under both trees, today, right now, or I'm calling the police on YOU for littering. If you ever come out here and rag on me while I'm mowing again, I'll take that as a threat and I'm calling the police!! Clear? Good. You have a lucky day. Garbage. TODAY. I'm gonna check, too. Don't forget. Today. Thanks!"

For the rest of my time in that area, she stood in the garage talking on the phone. Garbage was picked up.... :)

Not gonna lie, I was fired up! I think it was the "EXCUUUUUSE ME?" that tripped my trigger. Can't tell you how much I hate that. Although that "stop immediately" part might have pulled the hammer back lol.

I emailed the guy who hired me and asked him to remind residents not to approach the "lawn guys" while they're working.
I’m the lawn guy, not the lawn janitor.
To me there is a difference in me picking up an area before I mow ( personal pride) vs picking up around you on mow day because your too lazy!
Good responses. Terrible parent example!

Top Forums