HOA Issue

OP
D

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
Yeah I am on the fence about whether or not to keep it for next year, right now. This one is a real pain in the butt to trim, but I get paid monthly on it no matter how often I cut it. And so far THIS season I have only cut the subdivision 8 times. l gross 3K so it isn’t terrible (with two of us it takes 75 min when we don’t have to trim. 95 minutes when we trim).

xxl

LawnSite Senior Member
Just dont shut the mower off and keep cutting who cares about her Been there done that Some old hag was nagging i didnt cut a stop started the mower totaly ignored her

Michael - Toronto

LawnSite Member
I'm the Secretary-Treasurer of a HOA, and thus responsible for contracting with our landscaper (I'm active here on Lawnsite because I'm an irrigation guy).

Every year, we send out a newsletter to our owners asking them to PLEASE not make requests of the landscape crew. We tell the owners that if they have concerns or suggestions about the landscape maintenance, they should speak to the Property Manager.

Every year, I also make a point of meeting with the landscape crew and telling them to not act on requests from owners (tiny courtesies excepted, like moving a potted plant three feet away for a 90 year old resident). I give the landscape crew the same letter I have sent to the homeowners, and remind them that the ONLY person they should take direction from is the Property Manager.

I think that it is entirely reasonable for any contractor encountering problems with individual homeowners to ask the Property Manager to speak with that homeowner and advise them that if the homeowner has concerns, they should be directed to the Property Manager and not the landscaper.

Michal

Triplex

LawnSite Senior Member
I worked on a golf course crew at a course that had houses. I was constantly having to explain to irate homeowners that their yards were cut by an outside landscaping company through their HOA, and that if their lawn hasn’t been cut in 3 weeks, they should complain to the HOA and not me or anyone working on the course.

Incidentally, this was 20 years ago before huge companies like Brickman existed. They were forced to split the work up between a bunch of small local landscaping outfits; I don’t think anyone was big enough back then to mow the entire development. Based on the number of homeowners legitimately upset about not getting serviced for three weeks, I suspect some of these companies didn’t have their **** together.

Delmarva Keith

LawnSite Senior Member
Never turn off the machine; turn off the blades and set to idle at best. Never get off the machine to go to them. If they want to talk, they come to me. I don’t get summoned. The idling machine sends the message I’m the one working and have a job to do so whatever it is, be quick and then be gone.

Might seem rude in some ways but when I’m working is not the time for chit-chat or any chit actually ;) . Anybody who demands anything immeeeeediately needs to hire a servant, not a landscaper. I’ve gotten better at just completely ignoring some people who, shall I say, I don’t favor very much. Dead to me; they don’t exist.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm the Secretary-Treasurer of a HOA, and thus responsible for contracting with our landscaper (I'm active here on Lawnsite because I'm an irrigation guy).

Every year, we send out a newsletter to our owners asking them to PLEASE not make requests of the landscape crew. We tell the owners that if they have concerns or suggestions about the landscape maintenance, they should speak to the Property Manager.

Every year, I also make a point of meeting with the landscape crew and telling them to not act on requests from owners (tiny courtesies excepted, like moving a potted plant three feet away for a 90 year old resident). I give the landscape crew the same letter I have sent to the homeowners, and remind them that the ONLY person they should take direction from is the Property Manager.

I think that it is entirely reasonable for any contractor encountering problems with individual homeowners to ask the Property Manager to speak with that homeowner and advise them that if the homeowner has concerns, they should be directed to the Property Manager and not the landscaper.

Michal
Nice postThumbs UpThumbs Up
Sounds very reasonable....

Most times people want to boss around the landscaper or take out their frustrations of life on the landscaper there's not much reasoning or thought process going on:realmad:

Last edited:

Top Forums