HOA Issue

beetles

LawnSite Member
Just dont shut the mower off and keep cutting who cares about her Been there done that Some old hag was nagging i didnt cut a stop started the mower totaly ignored her
Do the ol' Ronald Reagan cupped hand to the ear (in front of the helo with the engine turning,) smile and wave.

Richard Carey

LawnSite Member
I’ve been on both sides...Condo mgmt, and contractor. As Condo mgmt, I told my contractors only to respond to issued work orders and not residents/guests, but in my contracts policing grounds for litter before mowing/service is a specified line item on weekly service, but not janitorial duties and certainly not dealing with arrogant people, complaints were always directed to mgmt office, ignored by by contractors. As a contractor, we always police grounds before mowing.service, we get paid to do that, and I stipulate that in my contract, we will if in our contract empty litter/trash containers into dumpsters, if not in contract it’s left to others. My pet peeve is when arrogant people dump ash trays in parking lots/roads we maintain, those butts make a mess especially if they get blown onto grass and get mowed over.

jfoxtrot9

LawnSite Senior Member
I cut the common areas of this subdivision. Some of you have heard me comment on how steep and tough the ditches are (for me anyway)

I failed yesterday..... miserably lol.

Yesterday I'm cutting in the ditch, and a woman comes out and starts screaming at me. I have no idea what she's screaming, but I can't stop where I'm at. So I go as far as I need to in order to shut down, and hop off and say, "Hi. What can I do for you?" First, she starts in on me for not stopping immediately when she asked me to (and she strung on the word immmeeeeeediately .... so now I know exactly how this is gonna go lol). When I started to explain that I couldn't stop right then and there, she cut me off and said, "I don't care! I asked you to stop! You should STOP!!!" So I just said, "what can I do for you?" again. She proceeds to complain that I don't pick up the garbage "in the trees." I said I didn't even know there was garbage "in the trees." (about now I think she's koo-koo for cocoa puffs). Then she said, "Well there is!" and points.... "My son left his McDonald's bag under that tree after his lunch last week (It's a Willow tree with sort of a canopy - pretty cool fort for a kid actually lol!) and since you didn't pick that one up, I said something to the hoa president, and I put another bag under THAT tree over there yesterday, to see if you'd get THAT one - and obviously you didn't !!!" I asked her why she didn't make her son pick up after himself and she said "we both wanted to see if you'd get it." I go, "That's terrible parenting. Lady, I mow the grass. I don't pick up after you and your son." "EXCUUUUUSE me?! Did you just call me 'LADY? Show some respect!!" (this is where I sort of lost it) I go, "NOPE!! I have ZERO respect for a woman who would deliberately throw trash - LITTER! - in an area just to see if the lowly lawn mower guy would pick it up. So... you and your son need to pick up the trash under both trees, today, right now, or I'm calling the police on YOU for littering. If you ever come out here and rag on me while I'm mowing again, I'll take that as a threat and I'm calling the police!! Clear? Good. You have a lucky day. Garbage. TODAY. I'm gonna check, too. Don't forget. Today. Thanks!"

For the rest of my time in that area, she stood in the garage talking on the phone. Garbage was picked up.... :)

Not gonna lie, I was fired up! I think it was the "EXCUUUUUSE ME?" that tripped my trigger. Can't tell you how much I hate that. Although that "stop immediately" part might have pulled the hammer back lol.

I emailed the guy who hired me and asked him to remind residents not to approach the "lawn guys" while they're working.
You handled it perfectly. Kudos.

Quackaddict

LawnSite Member
Going through a bit of the same thing with a trust I do work for. Simple mowing/blow/trim with spring and fall cleanups. of the 7 properties I have one with residents that continually complain. "Too much dust", "mowing to fast" "not picking up brush".

Last week we showed up and within 30 seconds of stopping I had a resident screaming out of a window "you cant seriously be mowing today". She figured the 5" tall grass wasnt tall enough because were in a drought. I replied we will be mowing and started. She then came down and accosted my helper, who told her to come talk to me. Funny how people raise there voice until you raise yours. I was polite but plainly stated that I will mow at my discretion to keep the property in a state I see fit.

This trust group has been a good fit for me and has really been a blessing because of the number and proximity of the properties. Id love to tell this woman to get bent but id rather just keep the peace for now.

The property manager knows about the complainer and has been happy with work performed. They even added 2 properties after the initial agreement.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
Going through a bit of the same thing with a trust I do work for. Simple mowing/blow/trim with spring and fall cleanups. of the 7 properties I have one with residents that continually complain. "Too much dust", "mowing to fast" "not picking up brush".

Last week we showed up and within 30 seconds of stopping I had a resident screaming out of a window "you cant seriously be mowing today". She figured the 5" tall grass wasnt tall enough because were in a drought. I replied we will be mowing and started. She then came down and accosted my helper, who told her to come talk to me. Funny how people raise there voice until you raise yours. I was polite but plainly stated that I will mow at my discretion to keep the property in a state I see fit.

This trust group has been a good fit for me and has really been a blessing because of the number and proximity of the properties. Id love to tell this woman to get bent but id rather just keep the peace for now.

The property manager knows about the complainer and has been happy with work performed. They even added 2 properties after the initial agreement.
I had a next door neighbor of a customer complain about the dust my mowing created. I offered her a dust mask. :) She suggested that I mow the lawn with my "rotors" off. I think she meant my blades. Last I knew mowing a lawn with your blades off doesn't work.

She actually once complained to my customer about her cat meowing too loudly at the back door to come in. Yeah, a cat meowing is so loud and disruptive. She even accused me of stealing one Belgian block from her flower bed and putting a dead raccoon in her driveway...it was actually a Turkey Vulture that did it. The raccoon that is. I don't think vultures have any use for Belgian blocks...

eggy

LawnSite Bronze Member
Trimming shrubs for a HOA about 45 individual owned units. I’m guessing 90 percent of people polite and appreciate the work we do. Had one guy come out and talk about had bad the last guy trimmed.. (that guys was me as I have trimmed there for years).. I told him we fired that SOB who trimmed his shrubs last year…and I’ll take good care of him.. did the exact same trimming I always did at his place.. this time he raved about the great job…

Last edited:

Top Forums