HOA's

CS-LAWNSERVICE

LawnSite Member
Got a Call today to do a bid on a HOA tomorrow,I have never done any work for a Hoa any tips or advice you could give would be appreciated .
it will just be the common area but maybe a way to get a foot in the door for the neighbors needing lawn work also

Dr.NewEarth

LawnSite Bronze Member
I hope you can do a tour of the site with a member of the council. Ask alot of questions.
-Find out when their Annual General Meeting is.
-ask if there were any problems with the last contractor?
-what the council would like to see done differently...
-are there any problem areas?
-pesticide bans?
-where can you park?
-any problem dog areas?
-get the managers name and number
-how long is the contract for? Start and End dates.
-what services would be contingent?

Last edited:
OP
C

CS-LAWNSERVICE

LawnSite Member
I hope you can do a tour of the site with a member of the council. Ask alot of questions.
-Find out when their Annual General Meeting is.
-ask if there were any problems with the last contractor?
-what the council would like to see done differently...
-are there any problem areas?
-pesticide bans?
-where can you park?
-any problem dog areas?
-get the managers name and number
-how long is the contract for? Start and End dates.
-what services would be contingent?
Thanks for the Reply
Yes I will be walking it with the President of the HOA
and I will bring those questions to the table with me all are very good ones

edensgate7

LawnSite Member
Only other thing I would suggest is that you may want to make it clear to the council or association that if the individual homeowners want something done to go through proper channels to get it done. I have had people stop me and ask me to do more than what is in the contract and what I am geting paid for because they can't get the powers that be to see things their way. I just tell them that until I hear from the leadership to make a change I am only getting paid to do what I do. The HOAs that I work for have a few people who complain about all kinds of little stuff but don't want to pay a fair price for it. The HOA decision makers are happy with the work so I just keep doing what I am getting paid to do until the leadership says different. Make sure you are communicating on the same page with the people who make the final decisions because you could be roped into doing more work than you bid for.

CJC3

LawnSite Member
There will ALWAY be one person that is not happy with something when working with a HOA. Usually because they are old and have nothing better to do. Just do great work and communicate with the board members they are the ones paying you. They usually like to see prices for the entire season for budgeting purposes.