Hold my check please...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Steve, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

Solo's and larger companies, what's your policy on this?

A customer I just picked up mowed his grass and ask if I can hold the check 2 days. I said sure. A current customer/friend/coworker asked if I could hold her check until next friday when I mow tomorrow. She just refinanced so I can understand and of course I'm gonna work with her, but I can see this happening more and more.

Once I go LLC and come up with written agreement, due to technology and being able to deposit a check via phone I am going to come up with policy checks may be deposited immediately.

2. stringfellohawk

stringfellohawk LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer tell me that if I was able to get to her house the following day, she'd pay in cash. What she didn't mention was that she would only be paying half, and the other half would be in three weeks. It was a $2000 job in winter.

3. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

No on new clients. Find someone else...

Current clients that pay on time all the time and hit a snag in something sure not a problem....

A new client doing it on the first mow? Red flag..........waving in the wind created by the warning siren.

4. zraffz

zraffz LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn maintenance is nothing more than a luxury... If you can't afford it, why not cut it yourself?!

I'd be very uneasy about a new customer telling me to hold off on payment.

5. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

For a current customer I have had a long time, if they asked a couple of times, I would be happy to work with them. I agree that lawn care is a luxury, but not in all instances. Some of the elderly can't mow their own and have no one else to do it. If I know they are on a fixed income, I will be happy to help them out if needed here and there. If it is a younger working person/family then I may do it once but if it happens again, I would consider dropping them. I also agree that it's a big red flag for a new customer.

sjessen and hort101 like this.
  6. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

“Check holding” irritates me. Don’t hand me a check while your waiting on funds to cover it. I offer online pay for accts like that. I don’t force them to use it but I highly encourage them to. What’s crazy is those are the accts who will pay the day you invoice them online but they’d want you to hold a check for a week.

landscaper22 likes this.
  7. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Let them use a CC and they can pay the CC company whenever they want and you have your money now.

Mark Oomkes and JMK26 like this.
  8. landscaper22

I have QB online for electronic checks and credit card payment. I can't get many to utilize it. I have one customer that pays each month by e check and no one pays by credit card. It sure would be much easier for people to do electronic check.

9. landscaper22

Do any of you charge more for CC? The only time I have even had anyone use CC was for one time services and I didn't know the people. None of my regulars do. But I charge a little extra for cc. I am not going to eat those charges.

weeze likes this.
  10. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I don’t know where people got it into their head that cheap lawn care was some sort of right. Can’t afford it, buy a mower and get pushin’!

New customer asking to hold the check? Nope. This would be another advantage of pre-pay. You don’t end up working, then holding the check, then finding out it bounced.