Holding Employees Accountable

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Rockchoplawn, Oct 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockchoplawn

Rockchoplawn LawnSite Member

I have been having some real issues lately at the end of the season with guys slacking off, being late, or just general misbehavior in the workplace. What systems do you guys have in place?

I do have an employee handbook but need to work on defining better what is expected and punishments I guess... 3 no call no shows you're fired, general rules etc are all on there, but they still don't get it.

I would never dock pay but maybe a performance bonus of some sort would help??

Also what are good consequences to have as enforcement? Other than making someone run the trimmer all day I can't think of much.

There's a guy in town that uses corporal punishment and whips his guys with a paddle- hog whopper, but I think that is a little far for me... anyone ever tried this or at least had the threat of it as a deterrent? He's had the same 3 Spanish guys with him for years now and they seem like really good workers, so cant imagine he has done much punishment maybe the thought of it is enough to keep them in line.

Any suggestions are much appreciated

Grassholes likes this.
  2. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

You have a handbook but don't enforce what's in it, what do you expect?
    Write someone up for being late then fire them on the 3rd offense like your handbook says.

3. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Give them the day off. No pay.

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Its likley they asked for that and were denied.

5. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

When I went to trade school they told everyone if your late 3x it's s certain percentage off your final score in class. It was tough, but now I know why. Like they said you in the working world you get the 3 strikes and gone.

Breezmeister likes this.
  6. Rockchoplawn

See I don't like the idea of giving them the day off, because I own a smaller operation we need everyone there... And yes I have had issues with guys wanting off. Especially at the end of the season they are worn out but they know what the job is they signed up for. I was thinking about not going the corporal punishment route but maybe giving some sort of physical consequence for being late. Maybe push ups or wall sits. Like in a fraternity having the pledges do wall sits until the kid running late makes it to their meeting

Grassholes and maelawncare like this.
  7. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

So I don’t know why you keep bringing this up....but you can’t beat your employees. Regardless of what the guy down the road does.

8. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Gold Member

This problem seems to be common this time of season. Its Fall, guys get burnt out, as they know seasonal-layoff is right around the corner. And some may not be planning on coming back for next season.

I can remember the boss in the fall complaining about guys "spinning their wheels!" (His phrase for slacking off.)

Your Employee's Handbook should cover a Progressive Discipline policy, with 1) verbal warning, 2) Write Up and 3) FIRED!!

View this link...
    www.greenindustrypros.com/article/10257974/employee-handbook-how-to

maelawncare and Rockchoplawn like this.
  9. Rockchoplawn

I'm not looking to beat my employees lol. I just meant using push ups or some sort of exercise when needed to keep people in line.

And it's my understanding (from the internet at least) that corporal punishment is legal so long as it applies to both males and females equally in the workplace and they are aware of the policy. I only have guys working for me but regardless I think it would be weird to spank grown men...

maelawncare likes this.
  10. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Gold Member

This is so freaking illegal, I'm amazed that the guy hasn't been arrested for assault & battery!! :eek:

As for "push ups" punishment....what are you, the High School gym teacher?!?:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.