Holes on Tree

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Toubi, Jun 14, 2018 at 12:17 AM.

1. Toubi

Toubi LawnSite Member

Hi,

I am just a homeowner that came across this site by accident. I was talking to my gardener and noticed that I got holes on the trunk of three of my oaks trees. I live in California. I am worry about the health of these trees. What could possibly cause these holes? Any advice is appreciated.

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0995.jpg

2. NewEnglandSteelersFan

NewEnglandSteelersFan LawnSite Member

3. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Member

I would say woodpecker going at some borers but I don’t know anything about what goes on in Cali. If it’s a high value tree (and it looks like a nice mature tree from the bit I can see), call a local arborist. Will cost way more to remove it if it dies than paying an arborist who knows what he’s doing to try to keep it healthy.

4. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Silver Member

5. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have boring insects, you will notice sawdust collecting at the base or in the bark groves.

hort101 and rlitman like this.
  6. mowfool

mowfool LawnSite Member

Agree with Wye Oak Tree. Sapsucker tree damage. I have that on nearly all my trees from willow, oak, elm, ash, several flowering trees, and even some spruce. They don't seem to picky on what they go after. The good news is i don't think I've lost any to it yet, but some have gotten a disfigured.