Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you all do holiday lighting. I have really been thinking about it lately because I am sure that people love lights during the holidays, but are not able to put them up. I know that no one does this service in Sedalia, MO. What do you think about this idea of mine? How do you price it? Just give me some info.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I worked for a landscaper a few years ago and we put christmas lights up for a few customers. I'm not sure what he charged. One of the places we did was on a high dollar street and we werent the only LCO's putting lights up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
During my first season with well planned holiday lighting efforts, I sold approx. $30K in installed lighting. The COG for new commercial grade lights ran approx. 20-25%! I was able to keep two excellent landscape crew members through the winter (although very short here) by doing this. An excellent success to follow on outstanding Holiday Lighting is Swingle Tree in Colorado.

·
Registered
173 Posts
holiday lighting is also a huge pain. depending on the lights you are using it can require a pretty large sum of electric. that means you are depending on the existing electric to be sufficent. Also, GFCI's always pop when the lights get wet. Then guess who they call.

Plus this is not fun work, at least in NW Ohio. Imagine being on a ladder in 5 degree weather with blowing snow.

We do it, but on a limited basis and only for our best customers that don't complain about price.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
There was a big article in the newspaper around here about that. Some landscapers were reporting making more than they do on some mowiing day for the few weeks that they did it. If you have the ladders and stuff, i would say go for it!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Understand it is not just a matter of putting up some lights. First you must understand you assume responsibilty if there are any problems, such as fire or other damage. Second we only install what we sell, no crapola you get from Home depot that never work next year, or blown blubs you have to track down constantly. Third, we warehouse what we sell for the customer, therefore as to create a chain of custody. If I am going to service, install, and remove, I want them stored at my location. The average home it's first year will spend about 1000.00 1500.00 on a installed basic display. You make your money through the warhouse and service fee's. Service meaning you replace blubs, etc. ensure the lighting is in good working order. most home installs take a crew of about 2 men 4-6 hours. Another point is just like lawn mowing if someone in your area is selling professional products, and your installing home depot, they will notice a difference between the displays. Just like stripes in a lawn. You will need ample supplies, to make the connections easy and be able to hide the cords. Good luck, it a good jig but not one that is mastered untill about your 3rd year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the holiday lighting thing is best in mild winter climates. A little ice on the roof and you're in for a challenge. There are just about as many variables with a holiday lighting service as there are in the landscape biz. I would not recommend installing anything less than quality, commercial rated lights and buying them wholesale direct so that you can make some nice winter profits. There are many choices out there and some of them provide business tips and some training- similar to what the landscape lighting manufacturers offer. The most experienced is Christmas Decor which is actually a franchise opportunity started by some landscape guys. You may want to investigate them if you're serious. Either way, I if you're thinking of lighting this season you'd better start the learning now and advertising by Halloween. Oh by the way, I did have one holiday seasons worth of experience as with a Christmas Decor franchise (during the end of a past landscape partnership) and I had an absolute blast, and the money is great too if done right!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I light up 15-20 homes in Jersey every year.... won't touch a ladder... won't touch the house. All shrubs... minimum-$500.00/maximum house-$2500.00
Get our lights off the net.... commercial end to end.. $2.67/set charge 5.00 for new customers and/or replacements.

Good gig.... Pray for good weather in November....Brrrrrrrrrrr... cold in January when takin' em' down :blob3: ...

·
Registered
96 Posts
can anyone provide a link to commercial lighting and how do you price for this. i think my insurance would cover the install aspect of it. it shouldnt differ much from cleaning gutters

·
Registered
629 Posts
I understand that Christmas Decor is a franchise opportunity. Minimum investment is $17,500 to become an owner of a franchise. There are many lights and some marketing tools available, plus other business stuff to "hit the ground running". They also train you for a few days on how to properly set up a home with lights as well as general business affairs.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
firecapt13 said:
can anyone provide a link to commercial lighting and how do you price for this. i think my insurance would cover the install aspect of it. it shouldn't differ much from cleaning gutters
Lot more to it than cleaning gutters, to be done well and and as an artistic display. Remember, they are paying a professional. The clients usually wants more than just the lights hung on their home.

I met these people at PANTS and they were very helpful and professional.
GKI / Bethlehem Lighting http://gkilights.com/
I will be giving them a shot this season.

Another supplier which is easy for me as I can pickup there is Orman Inc in Philadelphia. http://ormaninc.com/ What I have gotten from them was good quality.

Kirk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Frog Lights, LLC
We imported real lead crystals from Europe. All of you have seen chandeliers in a ball room with beautiful glass crystals. When the light is spread around the room it sparkles. I purchased various sizes and shapes of glass crystals of the best quality from a European manufacturer. I had them made with a hole drilled in the top so that they could be hung easily with fishing line. We tried hanging them from some special trees like weeping cherry or Jap maple just below the branches. We put about 100 crystals per tree....during the day it looks unbelievable but at night with the up light on it ... all I can say is that it is spectacular ! These crystals can be hung on anything let your imagination run wild. Contact us for prices.. I will attach some photos as soon as I can. It takes about an hour to hang 100-150 crystals and you can make more than 100 percent profit. Be the first to do this !
Noel

·
Registered
47 Posts
I installed for a christmas decor co a few years back before I went on my own. It is really fun for me anyways. I have found some really good suppliers thru the web one is http://www.aachristmas.com they have a good selection the other one ishttp://www.christmaslightsetc.com this site has the desired wreaths and garland because they will stay lit. Pricing here in minnesota is around $2.00/foot for the c9's Anyone who has any questions can feel free to email me[email protected] I would be glad to answer any questions

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
i think this is a great idea and im sure it would pay some bills in between plowing. i like the idea of installing new lights you buy but what would you charge if they have the lights and want you to install them thanks tom

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.