1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Holly Bushes...Male or female???

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by coachgrd, Jun 3, 2005.

1. coachgrd

coachgrd LawnSite Member

Several years ago I bought 3 Holly bushes at a small nursery. They were not marked male-female. As a result, I must have either 3 males or 3 females b/c they do not bear fruit...the small red berries. One did not make it through the winter so I will be replacing it. I'd like to get one of the opposite sex of the ones I have so they can do the "cross pollination thing" and get some berries. (that should be fun to watch!!! :blob3: ) Anyway, how do I tell what sex of hollys I have?

2. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

We have one massive Holy in our yard and it does have the red berries. My wife and I think there must be another one somewhere in the neighborhood.

3. Pittsburgh Panther

Pittsburgh Panther LawnSite Member
    from N.W. Pa

the holly's with the smaller leaves are female and the male have bigger leaves. That's at least how I was told when I bought my holly bushes. I have 3 females and one male and they all get berries on them.

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

The only Holly I know is definetly female.