• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

holy cow... this thing has the guts

green grass lawn care

LawnSite Member
man i had read all the threads about stihl having more power thatn echo. i have been an echo fan for a while. no problems from them. well my echo dealer didn't have any trimmers for me yesterday and i decided to go to the stihl dealer in town rather thatn wait. what a good choice. i have an echo srm 260 that is a hoss. but yesterday i bought a stihl fs90 r that has waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more balls thatn the echo. that thing is bad to the bone. so now i am a believer, i just hope it holds up as good as the echo. later guys. vince:weightlifter:

MOHUSTLER

LawnSite Bronze Member
Echo has never been known for "tons of power" they are built more twards the longevity aspect. Both are good trimmers though!

Valk

LawnSite Gold Member
I found the same scenario when I switched from my beloved ol' RedMax (2400?) to a Stihl FS80 this last Summer...
WOW! Easy to start for sure - just like my RM. I'd say the Stihl is heavier by just a hair and definitely not balanced the same. It was a pleasant surpise to learn how a trimmer with a heavier head was indeed, straight-out, better at edging.

After some more learning time as well as break-in time (a good 10+ tanks of fuel)...I consider this FS80 to be a superior tool in all facets.

Though, will guess that my RedMax had lost compression over the years...and subsequently had less power than when new. She was ready to go to pasture...and will STILL start right up.

I'm considering a 4 mix HH blower to replace my RM HH (2601)...though that's for another thread.

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
i never liked th balance of a stihl trimmer, or the way they ran. the new echos are super balanced, way better than the slightly oler models of even 2 years ago.

bohiaa

LawnSite Fanatic
the only issue with stihl is those DAMMED fuel caps.

there 12.00 each and they Break nearly 5 to 6 times in it's life.

for the life of me I cant get guys who can close those caps.

And I'm SICK of replacing them

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
the only issue with stihl is those DAMMED fuel caps.

there 12.00 each and they Break nearly 5 to 6 times in it's life.

for the life of me I cant get guys who can close those caps.

And I'm SICK of replacing them
I do have trouble getting mine closed correctly from time to time but it's never broken on me. I'm starting to get more and more of those goofy caps as time goes on but that doesn't mean I have to like 'em.

rcslawncare

LawnSite Bronze Member
Stihl 4 mix engines are very nice, I prefer the 100 over the 90 because it is lighter and I don't have any need for any attachments. I own both, so there both great and have zero problems. I use the stock spools though, not the easy load ones, juts don't like them!

openbook

LawnSite Member
What's with the caps? The echo cap last year leaked but I didn't think it was worth trying to get a new one. Everyone at work was dissapointed by the lack of power in the new echo trimmers and edgers also. Those stihl blowers also sound much quieter than the echo's we use.