Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or is this a BANNER year for Crabgrass in the Northeast??? :(

With the wet summer so far, and it raining almost every night, heavy dew, and HOT days, the stuff is thriving.

This would have been the year for 3 apps of pre-emergent. I got it growing smack dab in the middle of some lawns that NEVER had a problem before! The edges around sidewalks and driveways are infested, and is taking more trim time per lawn.

Anyone else in other parts of the country experiencing this?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I see a lot in properties that didn't receive a pre-M. I have only 1 client calling to date w/ regards to a crabgrass complaint. We just took on this account in March for fertilizing. Their lawn was sparse in areas and I forewarned them about the potential crabgrass problem. Now I have to remind them of the pre-season conversation and sell them a renovation package for the fall.

They have given us several compliments regarding our broadleaf weed control, so I don't think they'll have a problem w/ the renovation.

·
Registered
628 Posts
not to much on crab grass. Deminsion 1 app in spring is holding up well. It is the goosegrass that I am having a hard time with. I got it everywhere including places that never had it before. Heavy infestations. Thank god for the cooler days and rain cuz the MSMA has been going like mad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have it bad in my own yard. I just used some liquid weed killer and it all seems to be dying now. Weeds covered about 15-20% of my lawn. What do you guys think my next step should be? Aerate and over seed? Or should I take a tiller to the larger patches and re-seed? Thanks.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Originally posted by TLS
With the wet summer so far, and it raining almost every night, heavy dew, and HOT days, the stuff is thriving.
This would have been the year for 3 apps of pre-emergent.
This is exactly right. The Pre-M is long gone, and we now have all sorts of new crabgras popping up. Dimension has been helpful, as long as it is hit before the 5 leaf stage. The problem is, with some non-irrigated lawns, we haven't had any significant rainfall in the last few weeks to get it down in. But like you said, we could've just used Pre-m right straight through, this year. The weeds just keep germinating, and germinating, and germinating. Unusual conditions this year.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
TLS,

Crabgrass is bad here in the midwest too. I never get crabgrass in my lawn but I got it this year. I have several customers who have it growing along the driveways and sidewalks.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I have a large area that was tilled for a garden but never got planted. It's pure crabgrass, pure.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Crabgrass is the worst I have seen it in my 13 years in this business. I attribute it to the extremely wet year we had early on. Even lawns that received pre-m are showing abundant grabgrass. I assume the extreme rain has leached the pendimethelin out of the soil quicker than normal. Actually "broken down the barrier" would be more accurate than "leached".

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
If I recall...last year, everyone was saying that year was the worst with all the dry hot weather we were having. I guess we all need to keep our excuses in line. ;)

Guess I'll put this thread in my favorite folder to compare to next year. LOL

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
For my good customers I have put down 2 apps of Dimension this year. One in early March and another one in June and it seems to be working very well. I only have 3 lawns where crabgrass is a problem and I am considering giving 1 the heave ho. The other 2 pay too much money to just let go because of crabgrass.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Bumper crop of it this year over here in Joysee, Tommy. I gotta think it's from all the rain we've had in June and July this year...pre-m back in early spring ain't gonna cut it right now.:(

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
We have a little more crabgrass, nothing to be alarmed about. And it's usualy where it is expected to be, just larger area of it.

Now Yellow Nutsedge?
Although it was cool going into summer and it is smaller. This year for me the nutsedge is what I am concerned with.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Originally posted by Scraper
If I recall...last year, everyone was saying that year was the worst with all the dry hot weather we were having. I guess we all need to keep our excuses in line. ;)
Scraper,
You beat me to it!! I was thinking the same thing. I don't remember if I posted in the threads from the past few years with the same observations about abundant crabgrass, but THIS year is the worst I've ever seen ;) . I would also bet the 10 inches of rain in June pretty much used up the Pre M apps from earlier in the season. I've never had real bad spots of it in the lawns (usually some edges, bare spots etc. if it was noticable), so I've never treated it in lawns. What does everyone use for post emergent selective apps for it? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.