Home adviser any good?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by ARN Greencare, Mar 11, 2019.

1. ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Member

Wandering if anyone used these people. I thought it was rather expensive, and the sample leads they sent me are not worth a trip to the site to give an estimate.

So what is your experience?

2. Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

Everything I read about them is not worth it. There has been a small percentage that can get some really good sales, but its like the lottery. From my understanding is you are racing to be the lowest bidder and then when you don't get the job, you still pay for the lead.

I have read though some people sign up for it and turn off the leads, but you need your phone number somewhere in the title or something so your phone number is visible.

hort101 and ARN Greencare like this.
  3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

Kind of creepy when HA called me. They ID'd me by name right off the bat. In this day&age of scams I asked "who is calling"...he said, "this is Lance". So I hung up. They immediately called back while I was blocking the # and left a message (sent to my blocked voicemail messages folder) finally IDing themselves as HA. No thanks.

hort101 and ARN Greencare like this.
  4. CJ's Mowing Service

CJ's Mowing Service LawnSite Member

Paying for leads is too risky to me. Heck is they send me a lead and it becomes a regular great. But with if the send me 4 $25 leads, two didn’t interest me and someone else gets the other two (leads go to more than you), then I’m out $100, more of it happens so randomly.

When I tried to explain that concern, the person said “what, you don’t think we can help you make money?” I kindly explained that wasn’t it at all, but with his response with no regards to my concern was why wouldn’t be doing business with them.

zlandman, hort101 and ARN Greencare like this.
  5. ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Member

I see and agree with all that has been said. I decided to check into it to satisfy my curiosity, cause hey, you never know until you find out. Right?

So they contacted me, spoofed their number the first time for some number out of Morganton which is not far from me. Then it was nothing but high pressure from there on, and I just couldn't wrap myself around the money they were wanting for nothing more than "leads." They went as far to let me preview some leads, and nothing they have sent has been anything I really would even want. Some were even wanting me to drive 35 miles, up a mountain, to give an estimate on picking up small limbs and sticks out of their yard. Only three came in in three months that was for lawn work. One was a small under 1000 sf ft yard that wanted some help with mowing and occasional trimming, and the other two was people that were in the planning/budgeting stage that wanted bi-weekly mowing only. I was wandering if there was something I was missing, doesn't sound like it.

I also decided to fake a couple requests for work, though I didn't follow completely though so a contractor would not pay for it, and they only had one contractor in each of the two areas, who was pretty much nobodies, so that tells me no one else is seeing any benefit in Home Advisor around here either.

6. CJ's Mowing Service

They always ask me if i can take on some work for a city 60 miles me when they call.

ARN Greencare likes this.
  7. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

I have used them successfully since 2007. I just left a customers house today where we were talking about marketing. HomeAdvisor came up and I said I spent $500 per week and he said he spent $7000 a month. Obviously it doesn't work.

CJ's Mowing Service likes this.
  8. CJ's Mowing Service

Do you use them for a majority of your work? Honestly, you are the first person I’ve heard say they use them. I’d love to know more about how you have done it.

9. tdoeizreal

tdoeizreal LawnSite Senior Member

I've posted about it on several other threads. Works great in the right markets if you work it. I love when I see a Home Advisor commercial on tv(all the time). I consider it a commercial for me.

It's just another tool in the marketing toolbox.

10. tdoeizreal

tdoeizreal LawnSite Senior Member

If your really want to know more about it search for my most recent post on the topic.

Besides this oneThumbs Up