Home build trailer vs buying a trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by sheamus, Dec 13, 2017.

1. sheamus

sheamus LawnSite Member

What are some pros and cons for building your own trailer vs buying a trailer

JLSLLC likes this.
  2. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Depends how good of a fabricator you are I suppose.

RDALawns likes this.
  3. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

yes how good can you weld.? Do you have the equipment to work with? Do you have a way to haul 20' stick of material to your house or shop? Then um can you paint it yourself? Not downing you but if you can't no need in tackling a project like this and not being able to finish it.

4. sheamus

sheamus LawnSite Member

I have a good friend to help me and teach me to weld

5. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Besides craftsmanship, some states(mine) are picky about it. Used to be able to register a homemade trailer no sweat, but last yearish the DMV laws changed and made it a PITA to. So look that up for your state. Big factor of building. But no trailer inspection here, bill of sale helps a ton. A dealer who does it all day long is peace of mind when Paying (no matter dollar value)and dealing with the state. My state doesn't require insurance for trailers if the registered vehicle has a insurance policy. I still do insure the trailer.
    But my wonderful state is a no fault state and someone was at fault who hit me a while ago still costs me extra, and I was stopped. No rant, just an example. Not worth the aggravation

6. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Where it says I was stopped, meant to be I was faulted. I cannot edit on my phone! Don't think it's the site.

7. ShowCaseLawnCare

ShowCaseLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Just buy a trailer you can get a nice heavy duty trailer for a reasonable price. If you cant afford to pay cash for one most places finance offering 0% for 48 months.

13Razorbackfan and RDALawns like this.
  8. River

River LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Wisconsin

I think the price difference probably isn’t much besides labor at a factory where they build them. I like the idea of having a warranty which makes it easier to get parts and easier to service if something were to happen.

RDALawns likes this.
  9. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

Your way better off buying a new 1.

knox gsl likes this.
  10. springfield_pest

springfield_pest LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on what you need vs want vs time vs ability. I have built 3 or 4. Their is little savings on a basic trailer after you buy the steel, axle kit, coupler, lights and the extras. The trailer I made for myself has a 4x8 deck, with stake pockets and a 6' tongue way easier to back up than a normal 4x8. It was originally going to be an off road trailer pulled behind my jeep. It is not used for mulch and hauling scrap from my other job. I could not find a trailer to do what I wanted so I made it myself.