Home Improvement Contractor License

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by BillyRgn, Apr 9, 2008.

  1. BillyRgn

    BillyRgn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 248

    I am trying to do everything fully legitimate, i have commercal vehicle and liability insurance, and pay income tax, and live in Connecticut, but my question is do i need a Home Improvement Contractors License ? every once in a while i see in the local paper someone being arrested for offering contractor services with out a License, is this something required, or what are the other licenses that i need thanks
  2. BMFD92

    BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 694

    i can't say for ct but im right on the CT border in NY and I got my home improvement lcontractor license
  3. kps2389

    kps2389 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 346

    I'm in the same situation you are just starting out and getting legitimate. The way I understand it for CT is that for maitenence you don't need a contractors license but you do need it for construction stuff. If you find any other info on it I would like to know as well. Hope it helps.
  4. pinto n mwr

    pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn
    Messages: 422

    assuming that you have all necessary licenses and insurance just to be a business, you have to look at the laws of each city perhaps. I know up hear that each city is different for what they require to certain type of work. Most of the time it is a pain in the arse and not even worth looking into vs getting all the necessary permits/licenses and all the fees that go with it. Being legit is legit but to keep up on all the minor regulations that tend to change every year, in my mind is not worth it, I'll pay the small fine.
  5. BillyRgn

    BillyRgn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 248

    "An individual and/or business is required to register with the DCP if they are contracting with a consumer to perform work on residential property. Home Improvement is any permanent change to residential property." That is what it says on the states web site. But how is this interpreted ? there is also something about if you charge $1,000.oo, needing a license
  6. Ravenwood Landscaping

    Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member
    Messages: 117

    If it's anything like Maryland, anything outside of grass cutting is considered a permanent change and in need of a license. This means things as small as planting flowers/ trees or digging a flowerbed. It sounds like they might be close.
  7. silentbob

    silentbob LawnSite Member
    from NJ
    Messages: 27

    I would check with your local laws to be sure. In NJ, if you cut grass or apply pesticides, you don't need a HIC license, however, as soon as you put a shovel in the ground to plant a shrub you need that license. You must have a tax ID# to get licensed. So make sure the rest of your business is in order before you apply.

    In my opinion, if there is a chance that you will do planting or exterior landscaping, your best bet is to just go ahead and get your license to avoid any problems.

Share This Page