1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

home made suspension seat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bjw, Aug 13, 2006.

1. bjw

bjw LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I am sure someone has already tried this, however it made such a difference in my comfort level, I decided to share. I have a Dixie 72" unit which I use in Florida. It has a big well padded seat but, I still get knocked around quite a bit over uneven ground. Now, I am a big guy, 6'5" and 240 lbs. I so wish Dixie made a more comfortable suspension seat. I have complained about my back for a couple of years after spending a day mowing. I purchased one of those "memory foam pillows", like you see advertised all the time. I got it at Target. They had several sizes, some more dense than others. I picked out the thickest most dense one I could find. My wife, stiched a terry cloth case with velcro ends. I compress the pillow from about 4 1/2 inches to about 1 1/2 inches just by sitting on it. But really, it takes so much of the jolting shocks away, that I can run the unit at least 20% faster and receive 50% less jostling around. For $ 15.00, best addition ever made to a Dixie...

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds cool. take some pictures.

3. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like something I can use. Do you have a brand name and model?

Thanks,
    Ed

4. bjw

bjw LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Chad & Ed

These things are made by a number of companies, every major store carries them. It is basically a memory foam pillow stuffed into a terry cloth pillow case. Nothing fancy. Wal Mart, Target, Sears all carry it. Just look for the thickest most dense "memory foam" pillow they have and give it a try.

John

5. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Not that I would condone disabling a seat safety switch but my Exmark Laser already was unhooked when I bought it used. I took a couply of springs that fit snugly on top of the rubber plugs and it made a world of difference.

6. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes take some pics...great Ideia...Lets get a patent on this baby...With all these rough yards every little bit of foam helps.