Home Office. No longer a write off!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Charles, Mar 1, 2019.

1. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

Hey but there are more write offs available now for your personal jet!

You have a personal jet, right? Don't you see how it all balances out?

2. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Bronze Member

Or our 90,000.00 "Work" truck...:clapping:

3. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

The Motley Fool says the home office deduction can still be claimed on your Schedule C.

Edit: Apparently SOME people will be effected by these but it looks like it depends on how you file your taxes.

Tara Ann and tonygreek like this.
  4. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Bronze Member

More or less this year? Mine is less.

5. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Definitely less here

Walker56 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Really stinks because we already pay too much in taxes. My garage is full off equipment. No room for anything personal.
    I am just telling you what my accountant said to me about the new Tax laws. I and the rest of the firms clients won't be getting the write off. Still may be ok with the standard deduction. We are supposed to be getting in on the tax cuts. Just have to wait and see. Haven't finished getting mine ready

7. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

No question that there are some big losers with the new tax code. Those of us in high tax states have taken another hit.

They limit the amount of property tax that you can write off now. That nails alot of people in NY, CA, MA, NJ, etc.

It seems like the only way to really take advantage of the tax code is to be super rich or to have a bazillion kids! Being super rich sounds fun and making a bazillion kids sounds fun. Taking care of all those kids is another story....

8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Platinum Member

There is some misinformation in here, starting with the original, broad brush, premise. If you are a Schedule C (read: self-employed/sole proprietor), you still get your home office deductions. If you're a Schedule E, you're the one out of luck.

Charles, I don't know your situation, but if you're a Schedule C, you might want to find a new accountant.

9. OP
    OP
    Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I read it again. The memo says "workers". That is the keyword. Lawnsite comes in handy:clapping:

https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/m...x-reform-changes-to-the-home-office-deduction

tonygreek and Doc8406 like this.
  10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Yea,

According to the article, you’ve been paying an accountant that can’t read;

The good news is that if you’re self-employed or run a business from home, tax reform didn’t change your ability to deduct home office expenses against your business income...

Sooo shop around and find someone who can, I guess
    Unless this article is wrong... which is also possible.

AlohaMowing likes this.