• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Homelite brushcutter clutch removal

adameid

LawnSite Member
Hello,
I have snapped the pullcord off my Homelite brushcutter

In order to replace the pullcord I need to remove the clutch.

But I am not how?

Thank you

betmr

LawnSite Bronze Member
I never heard of removing the clutch to replace the starter rope. You should be able to remove the recoil starter, by removing four screws. I don't know the model of your machine, but start rope replacement is usually relatively easy.

sharkey

LawnSite Member
You have to pull the handle bolts and slip the shaft off the engine to get to the pull starter. Once you have the shaft off, then you need to take the housing bolts off until you can get the front nose off the engine. There should be a screw that holds the pull start rope pulley to the nose. Be careful not to pull the spring with the rope pulley. Pay attention to the orientation of the pulley and the way that the rope is wound. Otherwise to answer your question, the clutch threads off, and you need a piston stop to lock the crank to thread it off. Use a piece of rope for a piston stop down through the plug hole.

madmower

LawnSite Member
Sonds like one with the recoil on the shft side not on the back of the engine the clutch is screwed on the crankshaft but first you have to remove the clutch drum which normaly has a torx or alan screw in the center

hope this helps

bill

ranger350

LawnSite Member
Sonds like one with the recoil on the shft side not on the back of the engine the clutch is screwed on the crankshaft but first you have to remove the clutch drum which normaly has a torx or alan screw in the center

hope this helps

bill
Ditto. Generally a allen bolt. coil up some string in the cylinder on the compression stroke to jam the piston then loosen the bolt.