Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've kind of been wanting some trimmer racks for my truck, but I don't really want them sticking out the sides and the racks themselves would create drag and hurt fuel mileage, even when I'm not hauling trimmers or anything. I got the idea for this sometime today and decided to go ahead and try it.

We had some 2x4s and 2x6s in the building left over from our shop being built last year, so I cut up a 2x6, put ends on it so it would stand up, and cut notches to hold the trimmers. This will hold them still and keep them from sliding around or rolling over in the truck. I may build a smaller one to hold one or two trimmers when I haul my 33" in the bed of the truck.

It was really easy to make and should be pretty durable. The trimmers touch the wood, but rest on the floor of the bed. I painted the wood with DupliColor truck bed spray.

The edger is facing opposite because the head guard won't fit under my tool box, plus, this way it curves into the area behind the wheel well.

Land vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

Light Automotive lighting Gas Wood Tints and shades

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I've been thinking of a good way to lock it. I thought about a hasp or something like that, but the main problem with it being wood is that the lock mechanism would have to be screwed in, and a good screw driver could take it off. Also, I don't want to permanently mount this in the bed of my truck. I sometimes haul just the 21" or 33" in the back and there wouldn't be enough room for them. The 21" might fit between the holder and the other fender well, but the 33" will not. I guess any lock would be a deterrent.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
256 Posts
i think if u put a 2x4 on top of the rack, hinged on one side and with a hasp and combo lock on the other, u can usually find them at the hardware store so their when its closed the screws are covered by part of the hasp or hinge.they could still take the whole sha-bang, but then it would b obvious that their up to no good. or maybe bolt it to the truck if its a huge concern

·
Registered
15,225 Posts
That should work nice for keeping the tools from rolling around. As far as security goes I can't think of a single way to make it secure from theft. The problem with wood is it breaks too easily. Have you ever seen those Karate dudes break a piece of wood with their bare hands?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The main reason I built it was just to keep things from sliding/rolling around in the bed, so security wasn't really an objective. I do have a tie-down loop in the bed that I can run a bike cable through, so that might be the best option.

·
Registered
52,480 Posts
The problem with wood is it breaks too easily. Have you ever seen those Karate dudes break a piece of wood with their bare hands?
Hahaha, the martial arts master strays away from criminal activity.

·
Registered
15,225 Posts
or if you decide to use screws, use some with odd heads. something like number 5 torx, or those square heads. something that that average thief wont have with them all the time
They're useless on wood for security purposes. Take a straight claw hammer and hit the end of that board with the claws. It will split faster than crack dealers when they see a cop.

Remember, a huge majority of thefts are done by people who knew what they came to steal. They would know what was there because they had seen it before.

If you're going to leave your stuff outside you need to make it as hard to steal as possible. Bike cables are great... for gas cans. A 4.5" battery powered angle grinder with a cutoff wheel makes quick work of bike cables.

·
Registered
15,225 Posts
If you don't believe me try this one time. I want you to go outside of your house at 3:00 AM and pretend that you're stealing your own equipment. Make as much noise as you need to to get that stuff. Take a hammer to it, cutoff wheels, literally a jackhammer and see if the cops show up. It very unlikely they will.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
If you don't believe me try this one time. I want you to go outside of your house at 3:00 AM and pretend that you're stealing your own equipment. Make as much noise as you need to to get that stuff. Take a hammer to it, cutoff wheels, literally a jackhammer and see if the cops show up. It very unlikely they will.
thats why i keep insurance. if a thief wants something bad enough, hes gonna get it. no locks or chains or anythings gonna stop them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.